RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Another Way?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:11 AM

Another Way?

I got this image from a client recently to place on a white background and my normal methods of extracting (using select color range or pen tool) seemed cumbersome and I wondered if there was a better way I was missing. How would you go about placing this image on a white background?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BE MINE2.jpg (43.5 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 02:29 PM

Re: Another Way?

There's what you could do, and there's what you should do.

You should cut it out with a path, and you can outsource that job to people in Asia for a couple of bucks. Most offer a free trial.

Or you can do it wrong and waste a lot of time with things like color range, saturation masks, or masking plugins. All will leave you with imprecise "organic' edges.

Personally, I outsource my clipping jobs and it's one of the smartest parts of my workflow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 02:40 PM

Actually, a closer look reveals this item has some pretty organic edges to begin with. I'd still suggest a good, highly detailed clipping path with a pen tool, but barring that, try a trial version of Vertis Fluid mask, or google saturation mask to learn how to make one. Chris Tarantino has a tut somewhere, as does The Lights Right.

I tired a quickie Sat Mask on it with poor results, but that could be because it's so highly compressed and blocky with artifacts. Better results may be had on a quality original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 PM

With any other piece of jewelery, I would agree that the pen tool is best. But, with this one it just isn't going to offer any real advantage since the edges are composed of thousands of tiny shapes. So, combining several alpha channels may be easier. Selecting will be the easy part; removing all the shadows not so, but doable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2009, 12:29 PM

Smile Re: Another Way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
With any other piece of jewelery, I would agree that the pen tool is best. But, with this one it just isn't going to offer any real advantage since the edges are composed of thousands of tiny shapes. So, combining several alpha channels may be easier. Selecting will be the easy part; removing all the shadows not so, but doable.
Depends who does the path. Here's a tiny section of a much larger file. I think my guys in India did a pretty good job of tracing the contours of the lanyard. When the thing is knocked down to web size it's perfect.

It's actually embarrassing how little they charged for this too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lanyard-path.jpg (63.0 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 PM

That is pretty impressive. It's that "what's my time worth" thing.... once you develop those overseas contacts, it would be hard not to send it over there. I certainly would not spend the time on it with the pen, unless the background was so close that other selection tools made it impossible without the pen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
That is pretty impressive. It's that "what's my time worth" thing.... once you develop those overseas contacts, it would be hard not to send it over there. I certainly would not spend the time on it with the pen, unless the background was so close that other selection tools made it impossible without the pen.

Well said.

Better them than me. ;-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help