RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How to add skin folds, wrinkles

Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 AM

How to add skin folds, wrinkles

hi guys, I'm working on a personal project where I'm turning a friend into and apeman. I got decent eyes and teeths so far but the skin is the tricky part. I'd like to get advice on how to add skin folds and wrinkles.
I've seen a couple decent aged photos on the net, but I suspect it was a collage between a young people face and an old one. So the folds where not actually created. If I have to go that way I will but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2009, 10:34 AM

Re: How to add skin folds, wrinkles

Wrinkles are mainly dark lines next to bright lines, so you could try to use the dodge & burn tools ([O]) to create the illusion of depth.
Or to make things a little easier, create a new layer in "Soft Light" mode and fill it with 50% gray. Then paint some light streaks and apply the "Filter"-"Render"-"Lightening effects", set to "Diffuse light", "On", 35, 0, 0, 0, 0, Relief-channel: "Red", 50. Move the field in the preview in the left to get a approximately 50% gray and click "Ok".
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2009, 05:29 AM

thanks for the help but it seems I don't have the same version of ps as you I only have: omni, directional and spot light in the drop down, no diffuse light. What "style" are you using on top?
Also I'm curious as to why you suggested this, what are the effects?
thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2009, 09:06 AM

I guess the problem is that my version of Photoshop is in German and I tried to translate it word by word ;-). Should be "Omni", for the style you can leave it to as it is.
The effect is, that every bright line you drew gets a dark neighbor (that way you just have to draw half as many strokes).
But honestly, I just noticed, that you could better use the "Stylize"-"Emboss" filter to create the same effect but way easier - I had just seen this technique a long time ago and didn't think of the Emboss at the moment :-(.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2009, 11:42 PM

Here are some tutorials for painting in clothes they are pretty good, can probably use the same procedure for wrinkles and skin folds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2mpV3934mY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GupdgXTPy6Q
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 03:53 AM

Hey guys thanks for the help.
unimatrix001 your tutorials end up with a result that is way to painted and not photo real enough which was my problem.
I got good looking results with dodging and burning but I ended up having something that was too painted looking. I was aiming for something as photo real as possible.
So I had to tone down the wrinkles to a lot less that I wanted to, but I had to to keep it photo real as possible.
I'm happy with the results although you can always do better ;-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help