RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Assistance Requested with Skin Processing

Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 AM

Question Assistance Requested with Skin Processing

Dear Fellow Members:

I registered some time ago and have only recently discovered what an amazing site this is. This is my first post and I hope someone can give me guidance.

As you can see on the attached image the model's right side is a bit overexposed. I have several images with the same dilemma and I hope someone can point me to a good workflow.

I initially thought of using ByRo's declipping method, but that seems more appropriate to spot corrections and not for such an expanse of skin. I don't feel I need much color, considering the mood of the image, but it is obviously too white.

Does anyone have advice for me? Is this savable?

Disclaimer: Outside of cropping (yes, I still have that offending Japanese screen on the left) and some background color correction, I have done no processing. No skin processing has been done either. I am Photoshop literate (PC version) and want to learn.

Michael P. Toothman
Visible Metaphor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RetouchPro-Image.jpg (93.4 KB, 238 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Patron

Re: Assistance Requested with Skin Processing

Michael, welcome to Retouch Pro. There are many ways to tone down the highlights. One quick and simple one is to take the image into LAB color mode, apply a lockdown curve to the L channel and just lower the top two points. This brings the highlights down from 251 to approx 235. Because you are adjusting the L channel the colors are not affected. There are however many other methods with include Shadow/Highlight adj layer, burning, etc.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VisibleMetaphor MM.jpg (182.4 KB, 112 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2009, 01:18 PM

lightened the shadows
Curves layers using bright lights and super lights luminosity masks (from This Action made by Amica999)
Clone tool in darken mode, low opacity for some resistant areas
slight color reduction In skin tones

Before / After
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RetouchPro-Image.jpg (93.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg RetouchPro-luminositymasksj.jpg (86.7 KB, 158 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Michael, welcome to Retouch Pro. There are many ways to tone down the highlights. One quick and simple one is to take the image into LAB color mode, apply a lockdown curve to the L channel and just lower the top two points. This brings the highlights down from 251 to approx 235. Because you are adjusting the L channel the colors are not affected. There are however many other methods with include Shadow/Highlight adj layer, burning, etc.
Regards, Murray
Thank you, MisterMonday! I can see a lot of value in this approach. I will definitely try it this evening.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannysdc View Post
lightened the shadows
Curves layers using bright lights and super lights luminosity masks (from This Action made by Amica999)
Clone tool in darken mode, low opacity for some resistant areas
slight color reduction In skin tones

Before / After
I really like the effect of this, but I am thinking there are some other steps I have to take to recapture contrast? I will look into the luminosity mask as I have never tried that before. I love how you recapture the skin tone! Thank you. Not sure I can do this technique, however.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 AM

If you have the RAW is a piece of cake.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
If you have the RAW is a piece of cake.
I do have RAW.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2009, 09:09 AM

Good man. Now you need to open your Camera RAW (included in PS, just drag and drop the RAW File into PS and Camera RAW will open), then you can adjust the exposure just like taking the picture again (you can adjust lot of things and do very creative adjustments as well). If you need an intriductory tutorial, you can start by browsing in youtube. There is abnother program from Adobe called Adobe Lightroom, which does the same than Camera RAW but also works perfect for organizing the pictures.

Camera RAW Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...oq=camera+raw+

Lightroom Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

You can also blend several expositions in one single picture by combining Camera RAW and Photoshop and making the best pic you ever imagined.

Or you can hire me so you can extend your photographic horizonts, getting mroe work while I edit your pics for affordable prices

Hope this helps,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Good man. Now you need to open your Camera RAW (included in PS, just drag and drop the RAW File into PS and Camera RAW will open), then you can adjust the exposure just like taking the picture again (you can adjust lot of things and do very creative adjustments as well). If you need an intriductory tutorial, you can start by browsing in youtube. There is abnother program from Adobe called Adobe Lightroom, which does the same than Camera RAW but also works perfect for organizing the pictures.
Thank you, Mart. I do have all of these tools and use them regularly. The reason I posted originally was I was unable to fix this particular image. Adjusting the exposure in Lightroom and PS did nothing to bring back the missing skin.

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Mmmhhh... If you have clipped out that area when shotting so there is no way to recover that detail in the traditional manner. You can open the pic in PS and see if you have some userful color/texture info in the blue channel, so you can recover from there or by clonning some color and texture from other part of the model's body.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help