RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

A Welcome Note To New Members (and anyone else who wants a warm welcome)

Old 03-30-2003, 01:58 PM

Welcome to RetouchPro Tunney!! I think you'll find this site keeps you busy for a long time! If your head starts swimming, you might want to take a break to digest what you've learned before coming back for more. It is a little overwhelming at first, but it's easy to learn quickly on this site. I've learned more here than any other source. It's a great place to hang out!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2003, 08:08 AM

Smile

Thanks for the warm welcome, Jeaniesa...it is most appreciated this cold evening in South Australia.

Hello All.... I'm just a new member as of yesterday and I was told of this wonderful group, by one of your members and a friend of mine, Jade, who sings your praises loud and clear all the way from Western Australia....I know, because I can hear her here down in Adelaide.

I am not a professional restorer, but I would like to be. Though I have dabbled for several years in this area and done a bit of work for family, friends etc...I basically just started playing around and doing what I thought was best with what ever tools I had....but now I would like to get some more expert help in these areas. Thanks for having me. cheers, Opal
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2003, 10:24 AM

Yooohooo and Welcome

Hi Opal ... welcome to this rare group and glad you're participating already. Wonderful first contribution and well done. Great description for PSP8 so I guess I'll have to go download the Beta again. ZZZZZZzzzzzz! Goodnight.

Jade
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2003, 12:29 PM

I glad that you two already know each other, Jade and Opal, because when I saw something that Opal did in PSP - I thought of Jade right away -- looking for other PSPers on the board.

Sandra (screenname Sanda) is a long-time member on the board from Australia -- in or around Sydney. That's one of the especially wonderful advantages of the internet -- "meeting" people from around the world while sitting in my own home.

So nice to have you join with us to fix and play with photos!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2003, 05:46 AM

Thumbs down

Hi Jade, CJ and Fishboy....thanks for the warm welcome to this awesome group and also the kind words on my first contribution. I agree that it is a wonderful thing to sit in the comfort of your own home, whilst meeting people from all corners of the globe at the same time. I am so pleased that Jade let me know about RetouchPro...some terrific learning experiences to be found here.

As you have already gathered, I am a PSP fan and love even more, the new version 8...awesome. I do have Photo Shop 7 too and Photo Impact, used both sparingly but always end up back in PSP...I am kept fairly busy being a moderator in an advanced PSP group, also do tutorials etc...so sometimes it is easier sticking with what you are comfortable with to save time.

For any PSP'ers who may be interested, I have a tutorial page which include some nice frames done in either 7 or 8.

http://heartcreators.net/ladyoz/tutorials.html
Cheers,
Opal
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 06:38 AM

Thumbs down Hello from Denver, Colorado

Hi Everyone,

I've just spent the last 3 hours going through this site and then felt compelled to register so that I could be a part of this great group of fellow ENTHUSIASTS. I've enjoyed very much; reading through many of the posts, examining the challenge entries and looking at tutorials. What I enjoyed most however was the warmth and encouragement shown to one another throughout this site. That, in my mind, is what it's all about.
It's never too late to learn and the love of learning is alive here.
Glad to be here.

Howard

Quote:
Very late in life, when he was studying geometry, some one said to Lacydes, “Is it then a time for you to be learning now?” “If it is not,” he replied, “when will it be?”
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 10:14 AM

Quote:
It's never to late to learn...
That's the truth! I was in my early 50's when I first learned about Photoshop, and when I first joined here -- I thought I knew a good deal about it. After seeing what some others could do, and what they knew, I understood that I still had lots of happy learning to do.

Welcome, Howard! There certainly is lots here to learn from and practice with -- and even better -- to enjoy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2003, 10:07 PM

Greetings and a request for "insight"

I would like to say hello and greetings; I have just registered after looking around this great and wonderful site---I actually have been checking back for days waiting for the server change to be completed.

I am a relative newcomer to graphics programs but have been involved with digital photography and now am getting deeper and deeper into photo compositing and restoration, as well as "adjusting" exposure errors on current phtotos. I have been using PSP7 but have just switched over to version 8 and will be continuing my learning on that version.

This group and the resources seem "ideal" and "ready made" for someone in my position. My abilities and opportunities to contribute will be limited as I climb various learning curves, but I hope to share back as soon as I can.

The "insight" I am interested in hearing more about is whether this is really considered (in an unspoken fashion) a Photoshop board/site? I realize that various other programs are mentioned in some of the titles of subject areas - and I see some PSP users who have recently left messages - but in all candidness, if the vast majority of users are Photoshop users, is the likelihood smaller (even if willingness is there) for PSP users to get help with software specific questions?

In partial answer to my own question, I was browsing at the bookstore through Scott Kelby's book "The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers", and had the impression (I am still too new to know for sure) that many many techniques and commands are very similar between PSP8 and Photoshop (ver?). While this may be blasphemy to PS users, may I ask if it is not true to a large degree?

Any comments or reactions to my "insight" question? I hope I have not offended nor talked too long.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2003, 12:54 AM

Hi Ken,

Welcome to RetouchPro! You certainly have not offended anyone with your question - it's a good one:

is this really considered (in an unspoken fashion) a Photoshop board/site?

This site was created as a resource for anyone interested in photo restoration and retouching regardless of the application they use. That said, I think it is true the majority of us are using Photoshop. However, we do our best to give "generic" advice so that people can "translate" steps to their specfic application. Sometimes we forget and write in application specific terminology, but you should never feel bad about asking questions if you don't understand something!

I do not have a lot of knowledge about PSP functionality vs. Photoshop, but it is my impression that the two are quite similar. I think the terminology may differ more than the actual functionality.

We have a few accomplished PSP users as members, so perhaps they can speak to whether they feel included in our discussions most of the time or not.

HTH, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2003, 10:04 AM

Wink Paint Shop Pro

Hi Ken,
Welcome to the site. I'd have to agree that most members use Photoshop but speaking for myself (and I'm sure for many others),
I started out using Paint Shop Pro. I also did a brief stint with Ulead PhotoImact and MGI PhotoSuite. All in all I'd say you can accomplish similar results with each program.
The reason I switched was because of what you pointed out. The vast body of literature from books to web sites to video learning tools focus on Adobe's product. It's still difficult to find tutorials dedicated exclusively to any of the other above-mentioned products.
There will always be die-hard fans of each I believe because of having to learn "new tricks". I am one old dog who got tired of trying to remember how to do the tricks in each program.

I see this site as an excellent resource for learning from each other in the huge study of digital manipulation no matter what tools we choose to use. In the end, it's all about pixels and shaping them to your taste.

I have visited the site many times now and always learn something new. I've come away gratified every time. Hope your expeerience will be similar. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help