Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Photo batch help

Old 01-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Photo batch help

I have 80 pictures with a range size between 1.5mb to 4mb, how can I reduce them in 1 step to 5"x7" - size for web (kbs)

Thanks and happy New Year!!!

p.s. What about Flora? still around here?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Re: Photo batch help

Originally Posted by arcadhia View Post

I have 80 pictures with a range size between 1.5mb to 4mb, how can I reduce them in 1 step to 5"x7" - size for web (kbs)

Thanks and happy New Year!!!

p.s. What about Flora? still around here?
Flora checks in from time to time, but for now I guess I'm first to the fire.

Answers to the following questions will help in formulating a possible solution. This would involve creating an action in Photoshop and applying it using the Batch command. Once the action is created and a little setup is done, the entire conversion could take 10-20 minutes depending on your specific needs and the characteristics of the source images.

1. You mention image file sizes (1.5mb to 4mb) but not dimensions. Are they already 5"x7"? If not, what is the image length and height (assuming all are the same) in inches, cm, whatever? Reason I ask: If images are already in a ratio of 5:7 (equivalent to 1:1.4), resizing can be done "hands off" using Image Size command. If in another ratio, such as 2:3, or images are variable in dimension, then sizing will need to be done manually using the Crop tool. Not difficult, but would require you to sit at the monitor and crop each image one by one. Not a big deal.

2. It would help to know the resolution (ppi) of source images (use Image Size command to determine this if you don't know off the top of your head). If not all the same, use a typicial value.

3. Are all images in the same orientation, i.e., all portrat or all landscape, or mixed (some of each)?

4. re: "size for web (kbs)"
What's maximum size in kbs that is acceptable? This will help determine settings used in the Save for Web command.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Re: Photo batch help

You did not say it had to be done in Photoshop.... so, you may also want to check out IrfanView. It's a free, well received/liked, well programmed, well documented third party package. The advantage of having it is times like these, when you want to do batch processes on images but really don't feel like learning actions or scripting.

While it may be cheating a bit, and you should really get to know PS's actions and scripting better..... it does fill a void left in many applications. It's a great tool to have on your computer when needed. Everyone I know that has it has never regretted loading it up.

Download from here: IrfanView

For some sample screen shots from the batch windows (Not all the options are expanded, but you can easily see that the program is quite flexible), see this link from RetouchPro.... here
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help