RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Old passport photo

Old 02-18-2010, 12:36 PM

Old passport photo

Hi,

I just discovered an old A4 size picture that was made from my mother's passport many years ago, and I not only don't have the passport photo but this is the only picture of her that I have.

http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/z...iginalscan.jpg

Mouse over will offer a the hi-res version which is a bit of a joke ..

I scanned it in in grayscale but maybe color would have been better?

And I increased the brightness on the scanner and checked "restoration" and "descreening" which may not have been right choices either.

If somebody would please tell me the best settings to use in Photoshop CS4 then I'll rescan it and upload the new version.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Patron

Re: Old passport photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbourn View Post

If somebody would please tell me the best settings to use in Photoshop CS4 then I'll rescan it and upload the new version.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael
Michael, Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, offer help, have fun!

Scan in color. Turn off all automatic scanner enhancement settings and anything that auto fixes. No sharpness, no levels, no tone or saturation adjustment, no brightness or contrast adjustment, no dust & scratch removal, no descreen or denoising or despeckle, no color adjustment, no auto anything. All of that can and should be taken care of in photoshop. Then save the raw scan preferably as an uncompressed tiff or psd at full size. Take the raw scan and import it into Photoshop or appropriate image processing software and make your own adjustments if you need them.

This thread may help with your new scan: Scanners, textures, scratches, cracks, silvering
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Patron

Michael, I agree with everything OlBaldy has written and also would recommend that you scan on adequately high resolution so that you have 300 pixels for every inch you intent to print at. I.O.W., if the orig is 1" x 1.5" and you intend to print an 8" x 12", your scan should be at 2400 dpi.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 02:13 AM

Thank you both for the helpful replies.

Well I already learned several things today which is good ;-)

I scanned the picture in again using color but with no other settings boxes checked and decided that 1200 dpi would be good.

Well it might be helpful when working on the picture but the file size was 367mb when I saved it as a psd file.

Not something that I was going to upload and expect others who might want to have a try at restoring the photo, to download.

So I rescanned it at 600 and saved it as a psd file but "paintbucket" doesn't allow clients to upload psd files.

So I saved it as a png at 600 but the file size was too big for "paint bucket".

Saved it at 300 dpi and after cropping off a white border, here it is...

http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/z...mother-300.png

I don't have the original passport photo but only an old scan that I made a few years ago and just came across.

I am fairly comfortable with many aspects of PS but nowhere near as comfortable as Deke McClelland whom I marvel at, and have done several of his courses.

Anyway the pixelation seems to be the biggest problem to me, but then you could write on the back of a postage stamp what I know about restoration.

So how should the restoration of this image be approached?

I have 6 8/9th grandchildren right now and the oldest one who's eight, has always been disappointed that she's never seen a picture of her paternal grandmother whom she never met.

So my intention is to give her a nice surprise.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 07:11 AM

You might want to start with a small amount of gaussian blur between 1 and 1.5 that will remove most of the pixelation then following that use use noise reduction to smooth out what is left you can adjust it to your taste from there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Patron

Well one thing I noticed was that there were a series of horizontal lines on the scan and that is most likely from your scanner so you might want to rescan at a 90 degree angle to minimize that.

I took your scan and increased the contrast with levels and used Neat Image to remove some of the noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mother.jpg (185.1 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbourn View Post
Well it might be helpful when working on the picture but the file size was 367mb when I saved it as a psd file.

Not something that I was going to upload and expect others who might want to have a try at restoring the photo, to download.

Saved it at 300 dpi and after cropping off a white border, here it is...

http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/z...mother-300.png

So how should the restoration of this image be approached?

Michael
To post a larger size picture you can use mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.

You can also use these Free sites: (YouSendIt.com); (Podmailing.com);(Pando.com); (Sendspace.com) to send your original to your own email address, then open that email message, copy the link, and post that link in the thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Patron

Michael, outch, that is a pretty bad scan - possibly because it is a scan of a scan. I suspect that the 1st scan was not all that good and the 2nd scan just amplifies the issues - lots off streaking, yellow and purple, a ton of high frequency noise, well defined linear lines from dirty or defective scanner sensor elements, and poor dynaic range.
There are a couple of primary ways to treat the restoration. One would be to use one a many noise filters which will basically blur the image. It is not my preferred route. I would do that if I were going to apply an artistic filter to the image to turn it into a painting or sketch so that you have a representational image of the person.
The other approach would be to keep all of the detail and work around the noise. To that end, I would first convert the image to grayscale / B&W using any of 15 different merhods. Apply a Shadow / Highlight adjustment or curves adj to bring lighten the shadows and apply an appropriate amount of contrast. Next I would create an Edge Mask to sharpen the edges of the image without sharpening all of the noise and tiny dots. The sharp scan lines across the image can be quickly removed by using the Pen tool to overlay a simple two point path and then stroking that path with the Healing Brush so you can heal over each line with one click. Attached is a quick start to show the direction I headed in - I removed a couple of the scan lines to illustrate.
Good luck with the restoration.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redbourn mother rev MM.jpg (159.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by mistermonday; 02-19-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
To post a larger size picture you can use mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.

You can also use these Free sites: (YouSendIt.com); (Podmailing.com);(Pando.com); (Sendspace.com) to send your original to your own email address, then open that email message, copy the link, and post that link in the thread.
Some very useful links there thank you!

I do use yousendit.com sometimes, but I think they delete the file (free account after a week) and I will check out the others right now.

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Michael, outch, that is a pretty bad scan - possibly because it is a scan of a scan. I suspect that the 1st scan was not all that good and the 2nd scan just amplifies the issues - lots off streaking, yellow and purple, a ton of high frequency noise, well defined linear lines from dirty or defective scanner sensor elements, and poor dynaic range.
There are a couple of primary ways to treat the restoration. One would be to use one a many noise filters which will basically blur the image. It is not my preferred route. I would do that if I were going to apply an artistic filter to the image to turn it into a painting or sketch so that you have a representational image of the person.
The other approach would be to keep all of the detail and work around the noise. To that end, I would first convert the image to grayscale / B&W using any of 15 different merhods. Apply a Shadow / Highlight adjustment or curves adj to bring lighten the shadows and apply an appropriate amount of contrast. Next I would create an Edge Mask to sharpen the edges of the image without sharpening all of the noise and tiny dots. The sharp scan lines across the image can be quickly removed by using the Pen tool to overlay a simple two point path and then stroking that path with the Healing Brush so you can heal over each line with one click. Attached is a quick start to show the direction I headed in - I removed a couple of the scan lines to illustrate.
Good luck with the restoration.
Regards, Murray
Thanks for your explanation and suggestions, and I will try them out in turn; and your picture is already a great improvement and I can see more definition in the hair.

Michael
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help