Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Posterisation/banding issues ?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Re: Posterisation/banding issues ?

Again, Anwer, no worries, my sincerest apologies. It was a mis-understanding on both of our parts. I'm thinking more so on my part!

Again, nice meeting you - and I used the wrong words myself, and I apologize if i mad you feel less than appreciated for you contributing to the group.

Peace Anwer!!! peace!!!

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY... I hope that the OP (which stands for original poster.. I hope he can get his issue taken care of !!)

As my observation was probably not value added.

thanx again Anwer

Last edited by CanonGirl; 04-28-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added another sentence.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2010, 10:48 PM

I have replied to this topic many times, so forgive my direct speech.

1) Monitor is responsible of banding.
2) Bit of depth too.
3) Zoom too.

1;3) See the image at full pixels and check again for the banding.
2) take the pics in RAW 12 or 14 bits and edit in 16 bits.

Do a print, probably the picture is right, whatever would be the bit of depth or the monitor you use.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2010, 03:04 AM

Thanks for the replies already guys!

Sorry for my late reply but I've been real busy the past few days.

Bit depth is not the issue, all my pictures are taken with a D700 in 14bit RAW and edited in 16bit. There is no point in using 8bit, I never use it. I only convert to 8bit when outputting for the web or a printlab that doesn't support 16bit files.

What I meant with "There's not too much info in the RAW file left..." is that the left side of the image is slightly underexposed (I was lying in front of the fill flash in the trunk of the car so I stopped some of the light coming through, my own stupid mistake). Bringing up the exposure in Aperture (or ACR, I use Aperture mostly) results in a greyish image. I already added a layer with a slightly higher exposure for the backside of that seat. So going even further results in a) the left side is too bright, making it unnatural and b) introduction of noise/artifacts etc.

This is my histogram:
Spiked histogram

This is my histogram after pressing the warning triangle:
Smooth histogram

The smooth histogram looks great I think, no spikes going on. (a lot of the black is caused by the black "widescreen" bars I think).
Either way I'll bring it in this week for a lambda print. We'll see from there.

Actually my main question was: *what if* I can't get anything usable out of the RAW file anymore and I have to fix the posterisation ? Just for any image in general. Not necessarily this one.
Do I add noise to a layer and mask it ? Do I noise a channel, blur somewhat? Paint? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by powaq View Post
Do I add noise to a layer and mask it ? Do I noise a channel, blur somewhat? Paint? Any ideas?
Not something I deal with a lot. But, from a technical perspective, I think it would depend on the colors you are dealing with.

For blacks (as in this case) you may wish to desaturate to remove contaminant colors. (Verify in CMYK)That alone may do it. If not, then isolate and repair; the repair method dependent upon the situation... i.e. solid, gradient, etc.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help