RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Create pure white skin like this

Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 AM

Create pure white skin like this

I am sure that some one has posted something like this if so can you direct me to the right place. This is my first time to ever post anything on any site so please be patient with me. I was hoping some one knew how this was done the skin looks really white but not fake. If you know where I can find a good tutorial or if you have one do you mind sharing?
Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4a93a4611cc4c.jpg (70.7 KB, 226 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 PM

Re: Create pure white skin like this

Hi lavishlines!

Welcome to RetouchPRO!!

You don't say what software you are using.. I work with Photoshop so the following description on 'how to' is based on it.

Surely there are many ways to get this effect, the one I know of is called High Key Effect.
I opened the Channels Palette and selected the Green Channel (in RGB Mode, usually the one with most details).
I copied the Green Channel on top of my background Layer, slightly blurred it and changed its blending to Screen.

Created a new Curves Adjustment Layer to further increase the effect ... and that's all.

My result (Attachment 1)
Snapshot of my workflow (Attachment 2)
My curves Adjustment Layer (Attachment 3)

This procedure will only give you the base for your 'white skin' ... after that depends on how much or little you want to work on your image to get to your final desired result.

P.S. If you wish to know more about this (or similar) technique, simply do a Google search for High Key Effect in Photoshop (or any other software you might be using)

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-016.jpg (196.8 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-017.jpg (60.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-018.jpg (44.3 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Thank you flora

I am using Photoshop cs4 and I will look into what you said. I really appreciate any advice I can get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 10:24 AM

You are welcome lavishlines, and thank you for your feedback!!!

I just realized that not everybody might have copied a Channel to a layer before .. and I wanted to write a mini Tutorial on this ... but our Tutorial Software seems to be malfunctioning due to a security update to the forum software ... so I'll take advantage of lavishlines Thread and post a mini concentrate here...

In the following example, I used this technique to remove the 'haze' in a picture taken flying over the Alps, so after copying the Channel to a Layer I changed the Layer's Blending to Overlay instead of Screen as I did for your picture and, since I wanted to get a sharper picture, I didn't blur the Layer-Channel either.

Copying a Channel to a Layer is actually very simple and fast ...
  • Go to your Layers Panel (usually bottom right) click on the Channels Tab (Attachment 1), and you are presented with the Channels Panel (Attachment 2)
  • After scrolling through the Channels to decide which one is the best for your purpose, click on it to highlight it making sure you are working on/with it only (at this point you will see a greyscale version of your image ... No problem we'll get the colours back! ). Press first CTRL+A to select the selected Channel (marching ants around it) then CTRL+C to Copy it. (Attachment 3)
  • Still in Your Channel Panel, now Press on RGB to reselect all the Channels returning to the RGB Composite view (the colours are back!) (Attachment 4)

Having more than 5 attachments, I have to continue on the next post ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-020.jpg (31.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-022.jpg (44.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-025.jpg (176.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-026.jpg (197.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Flora; 06-04-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Part 2 ...

• Now click on the Layers Tab and click CTRL+V to paste the selected channel on a Layer which will be created on top of your Background. (Attachment 5) ... and we seem to have lost the colours again ....
  • ... not to worry ... click on the down arrow of your Blending Mode window and select the blending you wish .. (Attachment 6)
Attachment 6 will also show the strong result achieved by such a simple perocedure.

As I said before I had used this example for showing how to remove haze ... The procedure for copying a Channel to a Layer is exactly the same but for the High Key Effects as in the image posted by lavishlines, follow the second point in the description here

That's all ....

Hope it helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-027.jpg (196.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-028.jpg (199.7 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Thumbs up Re: Create pure white skin like this

Excellent tutorial flora. This will definately help alot of people. The way you explained it makes it easy for the new people to understand. I've been asked this similar question before and could not think how to explain it so the person would not be confused but you made it look easy. Great job
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Brilliant Flora !

I had been doing it this way but with out the keyboard shortcuts

I do think that we all assume we know the "right " way of doing things but that isnt always the case As in photoshop there is more than one way of doing things ( and i expect in other software )

and i say bring on some more mini tuts

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 06:42 PM

The first of the serie of videos I'm doing it's about this very same subject.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...tutorials.html

Just another way.

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 07:46 PM

Bigdawgz,

Palms,

Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words!!!

My mini Tutorial was on copying a Channel to a Layer and using it for improving an image.

But, for the High Key/White Skin effect, follow the link to Godmother's excellent Tutorial...
Natalia,
thank you so much for posting the link to your tutorial here too ... looking forward to the next ones!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help