Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help restoring old picture with many blemishes

Old 06-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Re: Help restoring old picture with many blemishes

I tried some of the tips mentioned here, such as copy and mirror. In the end though, I got carried away using dodge highlights and burn midtones to give more depth to the faces. That cost me important details in the parents hair and made the boy's eyes a little dark. I cloned some color from the father's face to the boy's. After I selected the right side of the baby's face, CMD-J, and Edit > Transform > Mirror, I then had to Edit >Transform > Rotate to align the mirrored half face with the baby's orientation. I also had a chance to try AKVIS MultiBrush on this project. Haven't decided yet if it is significantly better, than Photoshop's default tools (e.g healing brush and clone), so I'm not sure if I should buy it. Also used plug-ins from PhotoWiz, iCorrect, Neat Image, Topaz, and Anthropics, but didn't keep a log of what I used or when. Sorry.

I am very impressed with what some of the others have done already. You set the bar very high for the rest of us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OlanMills.jpg (94.0 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Tchas1949, that is a great idea to use the dad's face to clone onto the boys face. I didn't even think of that. I can do the same thing with the mom's face onto the baby's face. Thanks for the idea!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 PM

Hi Matt,

I am also fairly new when it comes to restoring images, but maybe my approach can help you. I didn't change that much cause I like the image how it is..well except for the damage of course...

For the background I used the Pattern Stamp Tool painting with a pattern I made from a good area. Results were acceptable but not good enough, least I had a start for the damaged right side.

So,..what I did is pretty straight forward,...just using the clone Tool, the Healing Brush and after that the Patch Tool to give it back some of the texture.

Same tools to fix the rest...

With the hair of that woman I first didn't know what to do,...and I still don't know how the original hairstyle could be look like,..but I tried to paint in some hair with a normal Brush..

Same "technique" I used for the shoulder,..just painted in the missing part and again give back some texture with the Patch Tool...not perfect but at least another method

Missing eye information taken from the undamaged area of the baby.

For the skin of the boy,..I duplicated the image, set the mode to multiply, added a black layer mask and painted back the skin with a white brush,..adjust the layer opacity..

..its ok..but as I said it could be another approach and you can go further messing around with color, d&b, etc..

Oh..and as a last step I used the High Pass Filter to sharpen the image...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldPictureManyBlemishes.jpg (99.6 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM

I am finally through with the restoration. Thank you to everyone that helped and gave me suggestions. I had read about Neat Image on another thread and used the application on the original scan. I was amazed at how well it filtered noise out of the picture. That made it easier to Clone and Heal parts of the picture, because it had a cleaner source to work with.

Again, thank you to everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old_Photo_Restored.jpg (98.5 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help