RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Photo ruined by someone else's flash

Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM

Photo ruined by someone else's flash

While on a recent trip to Disney World, I took some photos of a baby gorilla on one of the walking trails. The gorillas were behind plexiglass. The mom and baby came right down to the observation window, but only for 30 seconds or so. Someone standing next to me was taking pictures with her flash. I was heartbroken when I got home and realized that her flash bouncing off the glass ruined most of my photos.

Below is the best photo I have (no retouching). The flash illuminated all of the scratches and smudges on the window, and washed out the baby's leg (she's curled around her mother's forearm). Using the clone tool in GIMP 2.6, I was able to remove the scratches and the worst of the smudges, but the photo still doesn't look good. I had it printed anyway and noticed another problem. Since the skin of the baby's face is the same color as the fur, the image came out muddy and you can't see the baby's features.

Is it possible to improve the photo? If so, what techniques would be best?

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p...os/0701-02.jpg

Last edited by kbmum; 08-19-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Patron

Re: Photo ruined by someone else's flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmum View Post
While on a recent trip to Disney World, I took some photos of a baby gorilla on one of the walking trails. The gorillas were behind plexiglass. The mom and baby came right down to the observation window, but only for 30 seconds or so. Someone standing next to me was taking pictures with her flash. I was heartbroken when I got home and realized that her flash bouncing off the glass ruined most of my photos.

Below is the best photo I have (no retouching). The flash illuminated all of the scratches and smudges on the window, and washed out the baby's leg (she's curled around her mother's forearm). Using the clone tool in GIMP 2.6, I was able to remove the scratches and the worst of the smudges, but the photo still doesn't look good. I had it printed anyway and noticed another problem. Since the skin of the baby's face is the same color as the fur, the image came out muddy and you can't see the baby's features.

Is it possible to improve the photo? If so, what techniques would be best?

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p...os/0701-02.jpg
Cindy, welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, take part in some of the discussions, challenges, etc., offer help, have fun!

To insure threads remains useful in the future, regardless of external links always attach an under 100K version of your picture in the thread, unless prohibited by copyright... If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread as you did here.

You can post up to 5 fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop for each of them as described here: Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads: (Click here)

To make it look a bit better for printing I added some contrast adjustments then did some selective dust and scratch removal finishing with some healing brush applied (guess I could have just used the healing brush and clone tool though instead of the masked scratch and dust removal)

~~ Original ~~ attempted repair~~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0701-02_Orig.jpg (198.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 0701-02-A.jpg (197.7 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Patron

Did a little healing with spot healing brush and applied dust and scratch filter.
Converted to lab and applied curves to a and b. Finally USM to L channel. Image here is a little darker than my original in PS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gorilla-copy.jpg (96.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Tony W; 08-22-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: 1st image wrong one!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 PM

First shadow/highlight to bring out the face,
level & curves to correct the "flash" affected area,
Spot healing for the scratches, high pass to enhance dome details & final levels adjustments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0701-02_Chillin.jpg (172.5 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2010, 11:19 AM

Thank you all so much!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help