RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Beginner...trying to learn

Old 08-24-2010, 06:10 PM

Beginner...trying to learn

I've been "lurking" around these forums for months now...you all are so friendly and so eager to help, so I thought I would give this a shot.

I'm a beginner with freelance photography, trying to come up with images for my portfolio and learn at the same time. I've messed around with photoshop -I can do a few things, but still learning all the terms, etc...

But, I frequently browse the net to find inspiration, and ideas for taking pics/better pics...and learn how to edit. I'm hitting a wall with this one today, so I thought I'd see if you all could help me achieving the look of a picture I've found, and trying get the same feel. The first pic is the original:

http://www.paulpolitis.com/bwgallery...h.asp?photo=11

And this one is mine: (hope the link works, just signed up on Flickr!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srfotografia/4924993776/

Any help would be greatly appreciated, whether its about the actual photo or the editing. And no comments about my dirty kitchen sink!! j/k
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Patron

Re: Beginner...trying to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRfotografia View Post
I've been "lurking" around these forums for months now...you all are so friendly and so eager to help, so I thought I would give this a shot.

I'm a beginner with freelance photography, trying to come up with images for my portfolio and learn at the same time. I've messed around with photoshop -I can do a few things, but still learning all the terms, etc...

But, I frequently browse the net to find inspiration, and ideas for taking pics/better pics...and learn how to edit. I'm hitting a wall with this one today, so I thought I'd see if you all could help me achieving the look of a picture I've found, and trying get the same feel. The first pic is the original:

http://www.paulpolitis.com/bwgallery...h.asp?photo=11

And this one is mine: (hope the link works, just signed up on Flickr!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srfotografia/4924993776/

Any help would be greatly appreciated, whether its about the actual photo or the editing. And no comments about my dirty kitchen sink!! j/k
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, take part in some of the discussions, challenges, etc., offer help, have fun!

To insure threads remains useful in the future, regardless of external links always attach an under 100K version of your picture in the thread, unless prohibited by copyright (which is why I did not post the target picture by Paul Politis)... If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread as you did here.

You can post up to 5 fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop for each of them as described here: Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads: (Click here)

Your image seems very soft, and much darker on one side.. perhaps a tripod, lower shutter speed, and greater depth of field, and the use of some reflectors would garner better initial results..

For the image presented I did a levels adjustment, curves adjustment, copied the adjusted image twice and set those layers to screen and masked off the to bright areas using a gradient mask, new layer filled with 50% gray and set to Overlay Mode, added some noise (Gaussian), mono @ about 5

~~ Original ~~ ~~ Adjusted ~~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sink-Orig.jpg (197.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg sink-adjusted.jpg (195.2 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2010, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the tip OlBaldy!

Now I am going to try and do what you did, by using your instructions on the image! Yea I did notice mine was a little softer, as most of my black and whites are, but only just because couldnt figure out how to get that "look".

Thanks for showing me. I'll try it myself and show the results!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2010, 01:59 AM

After improving the contrast, an alternative to 0lBaldy's excellent tip would be to use Filter>Artistic>Film Grain instead of adding noise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Sink.jpg (199.5 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2010, 07:21 AM

Hi Flora!

Thanks for the tip! I am going to try and use that as well, and the previous advice given!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2010, 09:25 AM

You could try: duplayer, add noise, levels, copy merge, high-pass soft light blend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4924993776_bac12ea810_b_chill.jpg (145.5 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help