RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How do I move the Sun?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 PM

How do I move the Sun?

Hello,
I would like the put the Sun above and centered over this couple and just can't find a way. I've tried mask and moving a copied layer over another but I'm not getting anywhere. Please let me know what you would do.

Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CMS_3236.jpg (98.6 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 10:52 PM

Re: How do I move the Sun?

I copied the top half of the pic to another layer and moved so the sun was in the middle then i erased everything but the sky then i took the smudge tool and blended that layer with the bottom later then i copied the left side lf the water that had the shine on the water and pasted and fliped it on the other side and set the layer to color burn and applied a gaussian blur and smudge out the edges to shape it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CMS_3236 copy.jpg (91.0 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2010, 11:40 PM

Jeremy,
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!
You are a master!!!!! If you write a book, let me know, I'll be one of the first to get it!!

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 AM

Your welcome Cyde, I'm far from being a master, but thanks for the generous compliment, I'm still learning myself. If you need any help with anything else let me know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Patron

Jeremy, very good job. Another approach would also be to use Edit>Content Aware Scale. You use the Quick Select tool to create a 5 sec selection of the people and save the selection as an alpha channel. Then Ctrl+A to select all, and Content Aware Scale making sure to select the people in the Protect pull down menu in the Option Bar, and then drag the left edge of the image to the right until the sun is positioned over where you want it. Add a layer mask and blend the sun into its new location.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cyde CMS_3236 MM CAS.jpg (146.8 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 AM

Thank you mister! I will try that tonight. I'm a little confused when you or Jeremy say you blended the layers. Are you talking about blending modes or the blending options in Layer styles?

Thanks again!
I really appreciate all the help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Patron

Cyde, actually neither. Please see the sample attachments.
When overlaying two images, in this case the moon over your original, there are several ways to proceed. You could just cut the moon from its original image and paste it into your sunset image. However most of the time, you have more flexibility to take an object with some or all of its background and overlay it on top of its new home. You then add a layer mask and on the mask you paint with black to conceal what you do not want to show in your composited image. The mask can be fine tuned and its edge refine (feathered, smoothed, expanded, contracted) so as to allow you to blend in the overlay seamlessly. If you make an error or want to bring in some stars later, you just paint on the mask with black or white to hide or reveal more of the overlay. Its a non destructive process.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cyde Screenshot Comp1.jpg (188.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Cyde Screenshot Comp2.jpg (174.4 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 AM

when i said blended i meant i used the smudged tool around the edges of the sky. Where the sky is just different shades of blue i used the smudge tool around the edges to make the to layers seem seamless. Good advice MisterMonday, i have not learnt about channels yet. Im using photoshop elements 6.0 and i don't know if that has the channel feature.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 AM

Hi mistermonday. Maybe you can help me understand the Content Aware Scale option. I'm playing around with your instructions on the 8:21 a.m. post but I can't seem to see the purpose for the selecting the Content Aware scale and selecting the people in the Protect pull down menu. I'm probably not understanding your steps clearly because it seems that all I'm doing is creating another layer and moving the whole layer over. I don't see what the Protect selection is actually protecting.

Forgive me for my confusion with this. When I read our 9:41 post, I was able to follow it with perfect results.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Sarah

Last edited by Sarah Tamsula; 09-23-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Jeremy, very good job. Another approach would also be to use Edit>Content Aware Scale. You use the Quick Select tool to create a 5 sec selection of the people and save the selection as an alpha channel. Then Ctrl+A to select all, and Content Aware Scale making sure to select the people in the Protect pull down menu in the Option Bar, and then drag the left edge of the image to the right until the sun is positioned over where you want it. Add a layer mask and blend the sun into its new location.
Regards, Murray
Hello Murray,
Again thank you all the guidance you've provided. I have been re-working this image for the past few days and I'm sorry, I just cant' get the results you or Jeremy have using either of your techniques. I get the closest with your Content Aware method, but I am not able to blend the sky tones in a convincing way. I've attached to screen shots in an effort to show what I'm doing. I'm able to blend the right side of the sky, but I can't do anything about the left, as you can see. Could you please provide more details on how you used your method or correct what ever I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!!
Cyde
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Couple.jpg (98.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Couple-II.jpg (93.3 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help