RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

background pattern- help :-)

Old 12-17-2010, 09:19 AM

background pattern- help :-)

i have this two pictures and i would like that baby looks more like it's original on the photo with angel, can you help me please? i tried but i'm not very pleased with what i did :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg andjeo.jpg (11.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg franka.jpg (8.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg franka_rafael.jpg (95.7 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Re: background pattern- help :-)

I would suggest the following

* convert the baby layer to a smart object
* apply an artistic/texture filter that would make the baby look more "painting like" and match the overall appearance of the painting. Sometimes you have to use more than one filter...example, brush strokes and canvas (texture)
* after applying the filter to the smart object, you can adjust the filter's opacity and other features to get the look you want.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2010, 11:51 PM

I first adjusted the luminosity of the baby to match the angel. I use a temporary black and white adjustment layer and adjust the grayscale with curves adjustment layers and a soft brush on the masks for lighten and darken... Then delete the black and white layer adjust color with color layers then add texture with the healing brush set to luminosity.

Butch
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...nka_rafael.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2010, 05:58 AM

hm guys... thank you very much, but...

denaphoto- i tried the filters but i'm just not happy with what i got :-( don't understand why i have to convert baby layer to smart object??
daviskw- wow nice job, but i don't get it:-( can i ask you to explain me like i'm a beginner. sorry foe bothering you....
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Not a bother but I am not real good at explaining but I’ll try.

I’ve found that when trying to match one picture to another the hardest part and most confusing is the need to match luminosity…then color.

A picture is made of two major parts… the luminosity which is detail formed by shades of gray…what you see when color is removed or grayscale…and the color itself.

I always try to adjust luminosity first if possible then the color. Check out the sample of my layers pallet below.

I first open a curves adjustment layer and pick a point near the center then move the point up to brighten…about ¾’s of the way to the top. I then change its layer mode to luminosity and fill the mask with black to hide the adjustment. I name it Lighten.

I then open a second adjustment layer and darken the image overall and name it darken.

Above the curves layers I open one blank layer in normal mode and name it “clone or healing brush layer”. I will do all cloning and healing on this layer.

Above this another blank layer set to color layer mode. On this layer I will adjust color if needed.

Finally above all I add a black and white adjustment layer at default settings to remove all color and allow me to see just luminosity. This is a temporary layer that will be turned off or deleted when the luminosity adjustment is completed.

Now your picture should be grayscale. I pick a soft white brush about 20 percent and set the flow to around 40 and looking at the existing Angel I decide where on your cutie I need to brighten or darken. As an example the hands are very dark in comparison in places so I click on the lighten curves layers mask and then paint over the dark areas slowly brightening them. Of course if I over do it I just switch the brush color from white to black and correct again. I do the same with areas too bright and use the darken layer for those. The 20 and 40 percent are just guidelines...I often use less when the luminosity difference is slight and need more control.

Once I have the luminosity as close as I can get it I turn off the Black & White adjustment layer… Some times when luminosity is changed the color will shift…or you may want to use a different color. I click on the color layer…then sample good color from the existing angel and paint over your cutie. For instance I sampled the red of the angels cheeks and painted your baby… the yellow of the highlights and so on.

Next I addressed the hair… I used dodge to increase the highlights then sampled color from the Angel and painted over your sweeties hair.

Lastly I clicked on the ” clone or healing brush layer” clicked on the healing brush…changed its mode to luminosity…then sampled the rough texture on the existing Angel and clicked here and there on appropriate areas of your cutie to transfer the texture.

I hope this helps

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg franka_rafael.jpg (93.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 12-20-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 02:35 AM

wow, thank you very, very much :-) you ARE good at explaining :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Glad I could help

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2010, 10:20 PM

I'm sorry you were disappointed with the results of the filters. The reason I suggested converting the layer to a smart object is so that you can adjust the effect of the filter after it has been applied. (I'm still using CS3, so if there has been a change to how filters work on later versions I'm not aware of it.)

Thus, if the filter effect is too much you can fade or apply a different mode to it (like soft light) by clicking on the up/down arrows to the side of the layer...(if you have changed it to a smart object.)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help