RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Photos from video

Old 07-02-2002, 06:11 PM

Photos from video

My son is studying Audio Engineering at college. He's doing an assignment recording a rock band. He has to record the music, do an essay on the recording and supply diagrams photos of this audio set up such as mics etc. He did a recording a few days ago but he forgot to take my digital camera to photograph his mic placements and set up. This left the option of either re recording the band and photographing placements or trying to remember the placements in detail and drawing them.But as the recording went so well he doesn't want to re-record them and asking the band to come back into the studio is not really an option.
But one of the band members had his father make a video of the recording session, which shows the mic placements and set up. And that brings me to my question. Does anybody know how to get photos from a video? Can I hook a video player up to the computer and maybe capture some of the images somehow? I've never tried to do anything like this before but I'm sure somebody out there would know if and how it can be done. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2002, 06:50 PM

I think a product called "Snappy" is something that might work for you. It is a device that connects between your computer and your VCR. I don't have any "hands on" experience with it, but I do know that it works, and it's fairly inexpensive - also, very easy to set up, as you don't have to install cards or boards.
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2002, 09:46 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Sandra,

If you find anything that works, please let us know. That would be interesting. If "Snappy" for some reason doesn't work for you, you might send a PM to Tom. I'm not sure if he can help, but I think I remember seeing something along those lines from him. Of course, he might see this thread, but he might not too, since he's been a pretty busy man lately. I hope I'm not leading you down a dead-end.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2002, 12:11 AM

Thanks Vikki and ED. Snappy sounds really interesting but unfortunately it's not available here in Australia Unfortunately most US companies don't ship to Australia and the one that I found which does is quite expensive. Thanks anyway. I'll have to have a look at another way of getting the pictures from the video.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2002, 12:47 AM

Sandra -- check with places that sell computer equipment for a video capture card -- they may be way too expensive, but it's worth a try. The Snappy would work if you find anyone close who already has one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2002, 01:40 AM
Janitor

Not as easy, but there are several video cards on the market that accept video input and come with software to digitize it. Check the higher-end models of your favorite video card manufacturers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2002, 05:14 AM

Here's a link to some other devices that work along the same lines as the Snappy. The company that makes the Dazzle line does ship to Australia, but I didn't check the cost.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digvideo.html#snappy
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2002, 06:41 AM

thank you CJ and Doug I've had a look at some of the computer stores and a video capture card may be the way I'll go, if I do go that way I'll get one with the TV and FM radio as well as the video capture.
Thank you too Vikki that looks good too. decisions, decisions. I'm going to research both options. I'll let you know what I eventually do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2002, 06:33 PM

I went with the video capture/tv tuner card it's so cool. I'll post some info in the Hardware forum if anybody is interested.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2002, 08:48 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I'm headed that way to check it out. Thanks.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help