RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Masking Help Needed

Old 02-19-2011, 06:22 AM
Patron

Re: Masking Help Needed

Photoshop CS5 has a mask edge feature that's pretty helpful. It didn't work very well in this example but I used it here as an example. I did not fine tune the mask after I made this mask using the "mask edge" feature. What I did do though was use a curves adjustment layer to increase the contrast between the hair and the background before making a crude selection to a mask and then used the mask edge feature.

Russell Brown has two nice videos on this CS5 feature.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-russel...photoshop-cs5/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mask.jpg (33.0 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 AM

I will have to check out the videos. While all the masks filters and 3rd party plug-ins continue to improve - they ALL struggle with this type of image. Not enough color, density or hue separation between the background and the actual hair. Not really much these applications can do about that...

If you want a course, crude - very non-professional looking result - go ahead and use them. BUT if you want something that looks better than a student project, you will have to learn how to do some handwork.

I liken some of these results (topaz and others) to designers using the "magic" wand for outlining - works for layout purposes and approval, but you'll likely have to pay someone to do a professional job in the end.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 PM

I also used the latest version of Topaz Remask 3 and it did a pretty good job in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011_0204-01.jpg (40.1 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2011, 07:41 PM

Good is certainly a relative term and I guess in the end, our client's decide what is good. My personal barometer for what is good is whether or not you can "tell if it has been retouched." Hair is particularly hard, especially on a subject like this. Obviously, we are all working on lores images for these exercises, but the end hires result should look like hair - not misty, cloudy blotches of see through, somethingness.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2011, 07:49 PM

It is relative but there are very few true ,so called professional extractions, that I can't see the evidence...Especially if the shot was not set up for extraction.

Reasonable should be good enough.

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2011, 02:46 AM
Patron

Cut her out (just painted a mask) .. smooth the rough edges... FFT filter.. new gradient background... sharpened eyes ... 1 pixel clone brush to put some hair back on the edges
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011_0204-01-OB.jpg (195.1 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help