RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

weird tiff artifacts in mac Preview

Old 02-20-2011, 05:02 PM

weird tiff artifacts in mac Preview

I just finished editing a bunch of images for a photographer here and have ended up with a very frustrating problem. when I completed all the files, flat full res tiffs, there were plenty of them that had something weird going on when opened in Preview. in bridge and photoshop everything looks fine, but when opened with Preview you can see a bunch of weird smudges and textures that are as if my retouching layers got flattened out of order. but even more odd is that when viewing these in preview, if I zoom in all the way, they return to normal! I've had problems with Preview before, like when you have layer masks saved as channels, they'll show up instead of the image. attached are a couple screen grabs of what I'm talking about

I've cropped in portions of the tiff files if you want to check them out http://www.julianwalter.com/tiffdownload.zip

I really appreciate any help! thank you so much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screengrab4745.jpg (35.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg screengrab4795.jpg (33.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by mistermonday; 02-20-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Patron

Re: weird tiff artifacts in mac Preview

When you view an image at a reduced size (<100%), the application that creates and displays the preview for you needs to discard a large percentage of the pixels in the full sized image. When coupled with the resolution of your display, you end up with distortions. The problem is almost always worst when the zoom is set to 33.3% and 67% and the display is much better at 25% and 50%. The problem will disappear at 100%. When you need to make critical examinations you should always use 100% or 200%.
Early versions of PS had the same problem. Things have improved. Moreover if you have CS4 or later, if you enable the GPU in the PS Edit>Preferences>Performance, you won't see the effect at all in PS. Simple viewers however are not as sophisticated.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Patron

Well I am not a Mac user so unable to open the images in the Mac folder. However did take a quick look at the other .tiff in zip folder. On my PC I do not get either the moire effect on your first image or the ghostly dark bubbles on the second image, but there is a problem IMO.

On both images in CS5 viewed at 100% they both look ok'ish!, however there is a pattern that should not be there IMO (can be seen at 100% view). Both images when zoomed in exhibit a disturbing pattern of strong vertical lines. When viewed at stronger zoom levels it almost looks like a canvas pattern.

Could you have inadvertently added a pattern during PP?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 PM

There is definitely something going on here in the tiffs. You don't have to get to 100% to see it, but it is gets ever so more obvious as you enlarge your view. Some sort of texture inherent in the images. Does not look like a true canvas texture, but close to it. Did you apply some texture of some sort?

Hopefully, this is in a layer somewhere within your working files - especially if you should want to remove it. It will continue to produce moirés and patterns because of the screen (consistent repetitive pattern) within a screen thing. If this is in a layer, should be no problem turning it off and reflattening all images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-shot-2011-02-20-at-8.59.20-PM.jpg (42.4 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Patron

Humm, I just downloaded the images and took a look. I would be interested to know if these images were run through an HDR application or plugin, and if so which one? At high magnification you can see that the images definitely have a pattern of very fine lines, most pronounced in the vertical direction. So I will refer back up to my comment above because this is exactly the type of pattern that results in moire or similarly distorted previews in some viewers particularly at non even multiples of 100% zoom.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2011, 09:36 PM

thank you for all the replies! dang I totally forgot to mention that we had a little issue with the camera for the shoot as we realized afterward that half the images had some sort of pattern on them. we sent the cam in and they said there was some sort of electrical interference situation and quickly fixed it and sent back. I've played with the files a bit more and with some resizes it seems that this pattern is the root of this problem. while using the healing brush, it was giving me lots of issues unless I was aligned perfectly with this pattern. it looks similar except hugely exaggerated while viewing at less than 100% as you said mistermonday. UGH well there's prob no solution for this besides "no one will be looking at these tiffs in preview"..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 PM

Actually, if your are printing photographic output at a very high res, then you should be OK. That's if you are OK seeing that texture pattern. BUT if you are going to reproduce these on a Printing Press (4/C Process), then you may in fact, have some serious Moiré issues occurring. This is because the printing process is made up of a series of dots at varying angles. These line screens are set at 133 LS for publication and usually 150 LS standard sheetfed. The higher the LS - the better chance you will have at minimizing these aberrations. At newsprint LS (65-100), you could have real nasty patterns happening. It is a hit and miss kind of thing...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help