RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Easy Help!

Old 07-09-2002, 06:46 AM

Question Easy Help!

Help me ASAP I need to do this assign from our teacher, well, I need to draw a circle with Photoshop. But every time I used the elliptical marquee I can’t specify the diameter of the circle so my circle looks different. I would like to ask your help in drawing a circle in that there will be no white background that can be seen from behind and also I can specify the diameter so the circle will look correctly measured. Is there a way to crop a circle so circle will only appear? I know this will be easy for all of you but I just can’t seem to think it through! Pls detail the steps you did. Thanks! Did the circle I did ok?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red circle.jpg (4.3 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2002, 08:09 AM

I think I can answer this if I have the gist of what you are asking.

Select the circular marquee tool (top left of the tools pallete). You dont say which version of Photoshop you are using, but hopefully after selecting the circular marquee you will see the toolbar (nr top of screen), it gives you options to feather and antialiasing, also there is a dropdown menu, saying 'Styles' - choose fixed aspect ratio and type in the desired proportions.

One further piece of help, to constrain the elliptical marquee to a circle begin your drag with the mouse, then press and hold shift, releasing when happy. Also, if you wish to draw the circle from a centre point-outwards then Alt (apple command?) and draw your circle.

Make sure that you have 2 layers before starting, your canvas and then a new, blank layer. Just delete the canvas layer when done. Hope that helps a little

pps if you are saving your work for the web, you will have to save the file as a transparent gif or png - I think the most common is GIF89a - easiest way to accomplish this would be to use Photoshops 'save for web' found under the file menu (v top left)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2002, 08:52 AM

save the file as a transparent gif or png - I think the most common is GIF89a
what is gif 89a? should I use feather and antialiasing? So how do I saved it as a transparent circle for use in a graphics in java?

Make sure that you have 2 layers before starting, your canvas and then a new, blank layer. Just delete the canvas layer when done. Hope that helps a little
this is a problem. I don't have a good background in layers yet for the meantime. Cna you elaborate more. Thanks so much for replying to a very easy question. Sometimes being an novice is hard. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2002, 11:21 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Needham

One further piece of help, to constrain the elliptical marquee to a circle begin your drag with the mouse, then press and hold shift, releasing when happy. Also, if you wish to draw the circle from a centre point-outwards then Alt (apple command? ) and draw your circle.
For Windows Alt you use Mac's Option and for Windows Control you used Mac's Command.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2002, 12:06 PM

Drawing a perfect circle

How to get a circle "exactly" the size you want it (every time)...

Be sure your "rulers" are visible (CTRL+R on Windows; ALT+R on Mac, I think).

Next, you want to drag 4 guides onto your screen that will form a perfect square (2 horizontal, 2 vertical).

To create a guide put your cursor onto on top of either the vertical or the horizontal ruler and drag RIGHT (from the ruler at the left of your screen) for a vertical guide or DOWN (from the top ruler) for a horizontal guide. Release mouse when guide is in the desired position.

If you make an error or need to move a guide, select the MOVE tool and then drag it one way or the other.

Don't worry: The guides will not print or show up on the web. They are just for assistance.

When the square made with the guides is the right size and in the right position, select the eliptical marquee tool.

From any corner of the square (I start at the top/left, myself), hold down the SHIFT key and drag to the opposite corner. This will create a perfect circular selection every time.

Select a color of your choice using the color palette.

If you want to fill the circle with color, EDIT / FILL (foreground color).

If you want to fill everything except the circle, SELECT / INVERSE, then EDIT / FILL (foreground).

Not to worry. All of us were novices once. I still am in many ways!

Does this help? Good luck and thanks for asking.

~DannyR~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garfield-circle.jpg (36.4 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2002, 12:48 AM

RE:

HEY! NICE TIPS! See the attachment? I would like to get rid of the black background and just leave the white circle there. BTW, since its white it can't be seen ryt? even if you don't have to fill it with color, it doesnt matter too right?
How do I create a circle for any color fill within it so that the black border won't be seen?
Pls. explain this: Make sure that you have 2 layers before starting, your canvas and then a new, blank layer. Just delete the canvas layer when done.
HEY, danny thanks but I can't draw the guides, every time I draw one and will draw another previous line that I did with ruler disappears!!
When you use paint bucket for a color can you repeat that same color for more emphasis of the said color or I just could use it once to fill it?
About the border of the circle, how could I the black perimeter of the circle be more noticeable? Also, even if I use shift or not the same circle results with zigzag like circle? Does my photoshop 6 have defects? Does my circle look like a circle? How do I also make the circle look like 3d like? THANKS!
Attached Images
File Type: gif white_circle.gif (913 Bytes, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2002, 02:31 AM

HEY! NICE TIPS!
Thank you.

See the attachment? I would like to get rid of the black background and just leave the white circle there.
I believe you can solve your problem by creating your circle on a separate layer, not on the Background. (See my attachment. Note that the Background layer is turned “off.”)

BTW, since its white it can't be seen ryt?
If the Background is white, then you will not be able to see the edges of an object (circle, square, whatever) filled with white on a layer above the Background.

even if you don't have to fill it with color, it doesnt matter too right?
To see a white circle against a white background, you would need to put an edge around it or make it a different color than the background

How do I create a circle for any color fill within it so that the black border won't be seen?
1. Create the circle on a new layer.
2. CTRL+Click the layer name in the Layer Palette (this will “load the selection” - make the 'marching ants' appear)
3. Choose any foreground color you like with the color picker
4. EDIT/FILL/(foreground color)

-or here is another way-

1. Create the circle on a separate layer.
2. CTRL+Click the layer name in the Layer Palette (this will “load the selection”)
3. Create a new Hue / Saturation adjustment layer (use Photoshop HELP to figure out how)
4. Click the COLORIZE box “on”
5. Drag the HUE, SATURATION and LIGHTNESS sliders to change the color of the circle.

Pls. explain this: Make sure that you have 2 layers before starting, your canvas and then a new, blank layer. Just delete the canvas layer when done.

When you open a new file, you automatically get a Background layer. This is the same as the “canvas” layer. The new blank layer is a “new layer.” You would create your circle on the “new layer,” and when done, delete the Background layer.

HEY, danny thanks but I can't draw the guides, every time I draw one and will draw another previous line that I did with ruler disappears!!
You do not “draw” guides. You DRAG them from the ruler. Put your mouse arrow over the top of either ruler at the LEFT of your screen or the TOP of your screen. Hold down the LEFT mouse button and drag the new guide to the desired location.

When you use paint bucket for a color can you repeat that same color for more emphasis of the said color or I just could use it once to fill it?
No. Reapplying the paint bucket tool does not change the emphasis. If you want to make a color darker, see above using the Hue / Saturation adjustment layer or select a darker foreground color using the color picker and use EDIT/FILL.

About the border of the circle, how could I the black perimeter of the circle be more noticeable?
This can be done with the STROKE command. See attachment for example.
1. Draw your circle.
2. CTRL+Click the layer name of the circle layer (to select the circle)
3. Create a new layer on top of the circle
4. Set the foreground color to black (or whatever edge color you like)
5. EDIT/STROKE (you decide how “thick” you want the edge to be… try a few sizes to get a feel. Experiment with “inside,” “outside” and “center” to see what these will do.

Also, even if I use shift or not the same circle results with zigzag like circle?
I don’t know that this means. If your circle has jagged edges, go to IMAGE/IMAGE SIZE and be sure your RESOLUTION is high enough. 150 pixels/inch is a good number.
If you hold down the shift key all the while you drag the ellipse tool, you will create a circle.

Does my photoshop 6 have defects?
I don’t think so.

Does my circle look like a circle?
Yes it does, but it is very small!

How do I also make the circle look like 3d like?
The appearance of 3d is usually accomplished by shading and shadows. I do not know about that, so I cannot help on this question.

THANKS!
You are welcome. Good luck.

~DannyR~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garfield-2.jpg (61.1 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2002, 04:23 AM

RE

thanks but what I really want is that every time I open the image, what I must see must be the colored circle only and not the white background. Can you give me a sample pls. thanks.

If the Background is white, then you will not be able to see the edges of an object (circle, square, whatever) filled with white on a layer above the Background.
then that mean I need to do a black edge for the circle.

Is there a way to use crop as a circular way bec. the way i see it only sqaure works.

You would create your circle on the “new layer,” and when done, delete the Background layer
even if I delete the background and place the eye on the red circle and save that selection only there still is a white background...

I get the guides now. To draw y axis drag from x ruler and vice versa.

I think that in order to 3d that circle i think spherize will be good right?

Last edited by garfield; 07-10-2002 at 07:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2002, 08:44 AM

thanks but what I really want is that every time I open the image, what I must see must be the colored circle only and not the white background. Can you give me a sample pls. thanks.

Turn OFF the white Background layer (click the eye next to the Background layer). That's what I did in the attachment with the previous post.

The circle will be visible against the “checkerboard.” Another option is to replace white Background with a color or picture of your choice. The white circle would be very visible in this case.

=====

If the Background is white, then you will not be able to see the edges of an object (circle, square, whatever) filled with white on a layer above the Background. then that mean I need to do a black edge for the circle.

Correct. Click the eye next to the Background layer. That will reveal the white circle on the separate layer –or- use the EDIT/STROKE command to create an edge (not white), which will also make the circle on the separate layer stand out.

=====

Is there a way to use crop as a circular way bec. the way i see it only sqaure works.

You are correct. EDIT/CROP only works if a square or rectangular selection is active.
If you have a layer that has been filled with a solid color and you use the Elliptical Marquee to select a circle, SELECT/INVERSE (to select everything except the circle) and then EDIT/CUT to eliminate everything except the circle. (Note: The layer does not have to be a solid color; it can be anything. I’m saying solid color here because that is the example we’re using.)

=====

You would create your circle on the “new layer,” and when done, delete the Background layer even if I delete the background and place the eye on the red circle and save that selection only there still is a white background...

You are correct. Clicking the ‘eye’ next to the Background layer will “turn it off,” but it will still be part of the file. If you DELETE the Background layer, no more white background ever – unless you create a new Background layer. (This is possible.)

=====

I get the guides now. To draw y axis drag from x ruler and vice versa.

Excellent. Glad we figured that one out!

=====

I think that in order to 3d that circle i think spherize will be good right?

Perhaps. I have never used that filter. You will need to experiment. With a solid color, it may not work the way you think it should. It probably needs something other than a solid color, like a picture. But try it anyway.

=====

We are making progress! That is a good thing.

~DannyR~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 07-10-2002 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2002, 05:20 PM

RE:

does this look good? OR does the white background still can be seen? I did close the eye in the layer of the background and created the circle in another layer but I didnt link them.
Attached Images
File Type: gif white2_circle.gif (905 Bytes, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help