RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

retouch advice to achieve this fashion style

Old 04-26-2011, 04:41 AM

retouch advice to achieve this fashion style

Aingeru Zorita Image

This was shot on digital and has a really nice grain feel to it that may have just come from shooting on high ISO. However, in print it looked really good and seemed to have more to even that element. It stood out to me in its coloring even though this style is in a lot of fashion photography.

Wasnt sure if this was "hand" colored, or achieved through selective color adjustments.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on retouching an image like this assuming you are getting it out of the camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Patron

Re: retouch advice to achieve this fashion style

The left hand image to me looks like heavy handed hand colouring - may have started as a colour image and desaturated prior to applying hand colour. The makeup on the face looks added, obliterating any skin texture. The eyebrows appear to have had more than enough 'digital paint' applied Other than that I do actually like the image!

The right hand image looks believable as a straight capture with minimal post processing
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
The left hand image to me looks like heavy handed hand colouring - may have started as a colour image and desaturated prior to applying hand colour. The makeup on the face looks added, obliterating any skin texture. The eyebrows appear to have had more than enough 'digital paint' applied Other than that I do actually like the image!

The right hand image looks believable as a straight capture with minimal post processing
Thanks for putting in some ideas. Thats what it looked like to me at first, but I'm still not sure about the face, there are color variations in the makeup that lead me to think the face wasnt hand colored and also when you see it bigger there is some texture in the skin that makes it a bit more interesting, it could be grain but there are areas that do look to have some texture. His recent cover for Metal magazine has the same look. A lot of people refer to it as "creamy" because thats sort of the impression you get, it leans toward a film look where its softer yet still clear but it has that vibrance that only comes from the digital processing, but I havent been able to do it well enough myself. The depth of field helps create softness in this image but it is the coloring of the face that I was curious about although the makeup and her skin was very light to begin with and thats really a big factor.

On his site there are more images of this shoot and more of his style where it does look like he takes a lot of the skin texture out unless its been shot in higher iso. I like it though, even some of the ones where the face has been touched up a lot I find to be done very tastefully overall.

you can see the images bigger on his site..

website
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 PM

Did you look at it's histogram? The blue channel is definitely shifted.
Attached Images
File Type: gif aingeru_zorita_1Left.gif (19.6 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by chillin; 04-27-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help