RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Would like your help and opinion

Old 07-29-2011, 05:12 AM

Would like your help and opinion

Hi everyone,

First I would like to say how happy I am a community like this exists. I'm working on my portfolio alone and didn't have the opportunity to get some professional comments on my work... untill now

This is the first image I post and would like to know your opinion on what I've done so far. Then, the hair is driving me slightly mad What would you suggest I do with the hair?? I tried to get rid of the ugly hears on her forehead but can't find enough skin to clone from. And should I smoothen the skin more?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...yoriginal.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nprogress.jpg/

Thanks a lot for your input and don't be afraid to be honest!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 AM

Re: Would like your help and opinion

Hi, fen.

I would suggest you consider a different strategy to the texture smoothing you are applying to the forehead region.

One such strategy/technique would be frequency separation; you create 2 layers from the original - one that addresses colors/tones/hues and the 2nd one that addresses the textures.

There is a thread devoted to this method here at RP:
LINK

There is a basic overview of the technique on YouTube as well.

And there is an external thread that is included in RP's thread, too, for your convenience.

It is my opinion that this technique permits a more flexible and forgiving approach to refining and smoothing skin, removing hair/follicles/blemishes, etc, while keeping the integrity of the subject content.

This is but one method out of others that may help in achieving the results you are after.

In the meantime, do not hesitate to post your questions on this and any other technique you are considering adding to your processes.

As to a general review of the after image:
  • I am curious as to why you darkened the model's eyes (iris) instead of letting them contribute to the impact of the face/pose.
  • The overall darkening of the image loses some of the detail of the hair seen under her chin; basically, any background contrast that was there is diminished.
  • Selective darkening with the use of masks will produce better results.
    Some dodge/burn may have been beneficial to the lips to contour them and define them further, if subtly.
I am sure others will point out details as well.

You are off to respectable start - and that is the key: to start.
Looking forward to seeing more from you, too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2011, 11:31 AM

Hi Vernon,

Thank you so much for your extensive feedback! As I said before it's great to have a professional opinion to improve.

I'll have a look at the tutorial right away. When the image is finished I'll post it again to see what you think, OK?

Kind regards,

Fen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2011, 02:14 PM

Hallelujah... there's finally light after so many days struggling.

Vernon, I owe you big time for the advice you gave me before. I'm trying it on my image (started from scratch) and it's allready looking so much better after only 30 minutes.

Hope you have a nice weekend!

Regards,

Fen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2011, 10:23 AM

Hi Vernon,

I think the image is about finished now. I've posted it in 'Critiques'. I would be great if you could have a look at it and tell me what you think of the result!

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/cri...r-opinion.html

Thanks a lot!

Fen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 PM

A very marked improvement, fen. With continued application of the techniques you've discovered you will have results that will be in competition with the best of them! No boast, either.

But please, credit for the advice I provided should go to the amazing retouch artists that have contributed their wisdom and experience to the tutorials, here on RP.
I but showed you what I looked for myself in the past, to learn and improve my own techniques.

DO keep posting and ask questions if you find yourself in doubt about a particular image's challenges.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2011, 11:39 AM

Thanks Vernon.

I'm glad you liked the changes made to the image. Next image coming soon, still working on it
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help