RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

how do i get THIS effect?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 AM

Newbie how do i get THIS effect?

hey guys can anyone help me get the desired effect? I don't even know where to begin. Thanks. http://www.behance.net/gallery/ON-FIRE/1183389
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 PM

Re: how do i get THIS effect?

First the photo itself needs to be shot using a blue/cyan backlight on one side of the image. Second, in the post, after you've done any other general clean up retouching, duplicate the image several times and reposition them in various opacities to get the ghosting effect. Then on ghost layers, do a hue/saturation adjustment and colorize (in these they used a burnt orange/red) and then mask the main area of the subject you want clean from the ghosting.

I think that gets you more than half-way there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 03:56 AM

In my opinion ghost layers are also motion blurred or radial ... I can't perfectly understand :-(. Maybe there are also some liquify effects ...
mumble mumble ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 04:18 AM

much appreciated guys, let me try it out with a random image an see how far i can get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2011, 08:01 AM

To do this you need some ambient light in the frame and rear curtain flash. You take the photo with long exposure and moving model, then flash freezes the movement and presto! you've got what you aimed for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinq View Post
To do this you need some ambient light in the frame and rear curtain flash. You take the photo with long exposure and moving model, then flash freezes the movement and presto! you've got what you aimed for.
Right answer!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinq View Post
+1 - a combination of continuous lighting (to create the motion blur) and flash (for the clear/sharp capture) and likely some color gels, etc, to attain the ambien colors will be the main factors.

They can both (blurred and sharp) be captured separately, cleaned up where necessary, then composited accordingly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 AM

I was also searching for this help, got some idea now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2014, 07:50 PM

I would guess that a lot of this is done in camera like others are saying with continuous lighting mixed with flash. They may also be shooting frames for just motion to composite in later. It is very reminiscent of Steven Klein's work with the use of gels. I spoke with an assistant who worked for him recently and they sometimes pre-lit scenes for two days to get it right with all of the gels. I would recommend trying to reproduce most in camera and then enhance in post rather than the other way around.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help