RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Move Tie

Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 AM

Move Tie

Hi Guys,
I am trying to move the tie on this person to the central position of the suit, moving the tie is relatively easy but its coloring in the shirt that is proving difficult, my brush strokes seem a bit harsh and are obvious whilst I am doing this, any tips greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Move-Tie.jpg (99.3 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 06:59 AM

Re: Move Tie

If moving the tie is easy for you then all you are left with is filling in the shirt and also the suit.

After moving the tie is seems like you could clone in the part of the suit that was missing (even if you need to mirror the other side of the suit to clone from.

As far as the shirt, cloning is one approach. Her is another.

I used the content aware fill feature of CS5 (you did not mention your software) utilizing the existing part of the shirt. That could provide the background from which to paint on a mask to have show through. Here is the quickly made CAF in the existing tie area:

Move-Tie copy.jpg

This was to just give you an idea of an approach and I did not spend much time on it. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the advice John, I am going to try a different approach, I was initially moving the tie to the centre of the subject and then fiddling around it and the suit with the clone stamp tool, may I should just cut it out to a new layer and then fill the gap in the layer with the tie cut out?
What do you think?
Stephen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 04:01 PM

Copy the tie to a new layer (cut it roughly, then add a layer mask to refine it making it possible to fine-tune it later if it doesn't blend perfectly). You might do some transforming/warping to make it hang the way you want.

Then you need to fill in the areas where the tie used to be (on a layer in-between the background and the new tie). For this you should be mainly using copy/paste/clone/heal. You will probably work on several layers (merging now and then) to get a good result. It may take a bit of time, and you might have to copy parts from the opposite side of the suit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Thanks for your comments Chain. The example I have attached is where I am at now, not very smooth like the other side, do you suggest I cut and paste as much as possible and then clone to integrate together?
Many thanks
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shirt.jpg (99.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 PM

Whoa Lofty! Keep it simple. You have a enough good shirt texture to make up the missing piece. Get the tie in position and leave it as a layer. Cut and paste the top right area of shirt (which is under the right collar) onto the left side. Don't be tempted to flip it. 4/5 of these patches with soft feathered edges plus a few of the creases for interest will do it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2011, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the advice, are you saying to patch it together with the existing shirt and then smooth out the patch lines with the healing tool, if so, what settings should I have on the tool with regards to blending and layers.
Many thanks
Lofty
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2011, 01:39 AM

If you send me the same crop of the hi rez file, via email, I'll send you the moves. The real job here could be fixing the jacket lapel. (Depends on how well defined the material weave is)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Hi Repairman,
Where can I attach a high res image and send to you? The website has a limit so cannot do it here I think?
Thanks again
Lofty
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM

Click on 'Repairman' next to my avatar and use "Send a private message"
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help