RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

not sure where to begin

Old 10-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Patron

Re: not sure where to begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelman3 View Post
... I have tried isolating the lady on the right and doing a curves for contrast but again didn't want to go too far. If you think it needs more I will go ahead and try that. Thanks for the suggestion.
The original image I suspect was not that great with lighting coming from the left hand side maybe a large window or door the light falloff then causing the far right person to be too dark in relation to the others. I would imagine that this image likely to have been printed without any attempt to balance the lighting over the entire image. You have the opportunity to correct this if appropriate

So the question I guess is do you want to attempt to return it as close as possible to how you (or at least I) imagine the original looked or would you prefer to try and improve the overall image balance to get a more pleasing look?

Not sure why you are afraid of 'going too far' with curves let your eyes and 'gut feeling' guide you - you will know when it is either too light or dark!. You also mention curves for contrast when I think it is more appropriate to be thinking in terms of overall density i.e. the contrast probably does not need to either increase or decrease but the overall lightness of this part of the image could be improved.

The attached image shows this I hope a little more clearly. Using a curves (or levels) layer mask the ladies face, arms and dress down to her lap only. Pull the centre of the RGB curve upwards to lighten overall to get an acceptable result. Also for this a small amount of dodge on the lower part of the face helps.

All this of course is just my opinion and the way I may have applied 'improvements' should I have undertaken this work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fadedfamily2.jpg (48.8 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 12:52 PM

Wow. Thanks for the great advice and for spending time to help. I think I've done what you suggested. Take a look at the latest revision and let me know if it looks improved. Thanks so much for helping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue_family album 01-2.jpg (65.0 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Patron

Well done, really starting to look a lot more balanced now. It should be possible to mask the flare now on the left and use curves to darken/balance the image. Then how far to go with general clean up is up to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM

I'll do that. Thanks again for all your help. This picture means a lot to a friend of mine.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help