RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

not sure where to begin

Old 09-29-2011, 03:54 PM

not sure where to begin

anybody have an idea on where to begin with this image restoration? (I'm using Photoshop CS4). Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue_family album 01_ORIG SCAN.jpg (63.6 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Patron

Re: not sure where to begin

Hi adelman3 and welcome.

Unfortunately this does not look to be a good scan and therefore IMO will be difficult to get a good image as there is very little detail seen particularly on the left side of the image. If this is all you have to work with then you will probably need to select areas and apply curves to try and balance density over the image.
EDIT: A very quick try with your original mask curve layer for each figure and a little D&B - not good by any means but a starting point perhaps (plenty of clean up work to do), although I think that there are better ways to do this....

If you have the original you could try scanning again in 48bit colour with a high dpi. In fact I would be tempted to try a couple of scans. The first for the left side of the image to maximise detail and information using the scanner histogram controls and then the same for the right hand side. Then combine both images in PS layers masked as required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fadedfamily.jpg (90.9 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Tony W; 09-29-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 AM

Thanks so much Tony. I originally scanned at 24bit color, but I will rescan at 48bit. The suggestion of 2 different scans for each side of the image is great. I'll try that. I had already started to mask each person and work on them separately but it's slow-going. When I get to clean up work, if I could find a way to minimized the scratches across the image then I think that will help a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 05:22 AM

Yes; Scan in 48-bit (16bit per channel), and make sure it isn't saved as JPEG. Doing two scans was also a good idea.

Those two large smears across the image is the main problem here. Personally I would use a darkening curves adjustment layer and try to match that area with the rest of the image, then use the healing brush to try to even it out a bit. Don't know how it would work out, but that's the first thing I would have tried (on the full resolution image).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 12:07 PM

I've been working with the Burn tool on the scratches - making the width of the tool match the scratch. Do you think that's a good approach? It's time consuming, but I think it's helping. You can see in these posted images. Now I'd like to try and smooth out the graininess, especially on the right hand side. Thanks for all the helpful info!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 12:19 PM

oops - here are the before/after I'm working on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01before.jpg (88.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 02after.jpg (86.7 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 PM

Your technique seems to be working, and it would be time-consuming to remove that no matter the technique. Just keep it up!

My initial suggestion using a curves-adjustment would have yielded the same (or very similar) results - but you would have been brushing in the mask of the adjustment instead of directly on a layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Patron

Looks like it is coming along nicely. Curves adjustment layer would have worked well in this case also and I think would possibly give more control over density, contrast etc.

Did you actually rescan at high dpi and 48 bit colour for this one? If you did, did you try two scans as suggested?

Graininess does not appear particularly worse on the right on the images posted here (perhaps due to size restrictions?) but I would also suggest that you highlght the right hand lady (head to waist) and apply a curve to get a better match. You may also want to dodge a little on the face to match the lighting of the others
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 04:55 PM

I tried a curves adjust but was afraid of overdoing it. I did rescan at hires 48 and did the 2 scans. That helped out quite a bit. I have tried isolating the lady on the right and doing a curves for contrast but again didn't want to go too far. If you think it needs more I will go ahead and try that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 12:33 AM

here's what i got so far with a couple of layers where i mutiplied certain parts of the picture trying to counteract the fading and fine tuning levels and contrast
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue_family album 01_ORIG SCAN.jpg (80.5 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help