RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Centre of Image

Old 10-04-2011, 02:31 PM

Re: Centre of Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Good tip to type in the percentages. Don't know why I didn't think of that
Read it ages ago in a CS2 book. I think it was by Deke. Good tip to remember.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2011, 02:03 AM

I'm used to typing in the positions for guides in InDesign, but in Photoshop I usually don't have the need.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 PM

Another Deke tip is to call up a free transform on a full layer (ie, a layer that's a big as the document). The transform box will show the center/axis point and you can pull your guides into alignment with it.

But DJSoulglo's way sounds even easier.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 AM

Hi Guys,
I have done this starburst effect manually (image attached) as when I use the snap to guides option is seems to go off centre, is there a reason for this?
I am reading from a tutorial that says put these on so the creation of the shape will snap into place, when I created the second one it was clearly off centre so I duplicated the layer and line it up 'by eye'. (Not sure if that is a good idea but opinions welcome).
On a slightly different note I have started using the pen tool in regularly now, is there a way to make this show brighter when selecting as I seem to loose the trace of what I am selecting due to not being able to see the selection line?
Help once again appreciated.
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starburst.jpg (72.5 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 04:44 AM

Unfortunately you cannot change the colour of the pen tool (or the selected path) as far as I know. You could change the colour of your layer(s) while using it if it is a problem that the outline is hard to see.

When using it you should see the vertexes/points when selecting a path (or parts of it), and that will tell you which one you've selected.

If you cannot see because the points are outside your canvas, increase the size of the window that you work in (I recommend hitting F one or twice to get it fullscreen) or zoom out.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled-1.png (9.2 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 10:17 AM

Hi Chain,
Thanks for your reply, the issue I have was that the path line was too light on the image that I was creating but not outside the canvass range, I think the darken the image with an adjustment layer seems a good idea, do you have anymore tips?
Also, the attached starburst was that just created by moving the segment individually and do you think mine was any good, when I centre my image and get the 'snap to guides' on it seems that it goes off centre, do you think there is a reason for this?
Many thanks
Stephen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 PM

I selected a single pixel in the so called middle of the pic.
Copy it & pasted into new layer. Reselected the pixel & extracted/cut from original layer. Next, i switched to the layer with the single pixel & move this pixel/layer to the real middle using move/align tool couple with select/transform selection tool as a reference. At the and I moved manually the original layer with the one pixel hole to fill the hole with the missing/moved pixel, then I merged the layers.
I hope you understand this if not I could try to go into more details.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Starburst-1_chillin.gif (185.9 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 04:58 AM

chillin: That's one way to centre it, but I believe lofty would like to also correct the problem that the spokes don't meet in the centre - and then the easiest is to recreate it using one (or several) shape layers. Also, be aware you should select 2x2 pixels when finding the centre here because the true centre of the image lies at an intersection between 4 pixels since the image is 800x800.

lofty: you latest starburst isn't perfectly centered. See the attached images. Did you have a look at my PSD-file? I just made a triangular path, and it snapped into place - then it was just copy/transform for the rest.
Attached Images
File Type: png lofty.png (6.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png chain.png (6.8 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 AM

Thanks for your comments Chain, here is where I am at now, (attached) I did this by creating a regular triangle with the shape tool and then copy layers for each segment, anchoring the pointing and moving, this is the best I have had so far but when I zoom in I can see it is not perfect still, unlike your attachment, I don't understand the 2 x 2 pixel comment you made earlier, could this be the reason and if so can you advise me on how to do this?
Many thanks
Lofty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starburst.jpg (69.7 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
...Also, be aware you should select 2x2 pixels when finding the centre here... .
Yes, you're correct. The center is in 2x2, but I try to move the single pixel to the edges of the horizontal & vertical middle half of the pic. In this case the pixel's movement direction depends on which pixel from these four (2x2) was chosen.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help