Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Vanishing Point help

Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Vanishing Point help

Did a shoot last year for a Teleconferencing outfit. Looks like we will be doing it again with some new furniture & dodads.
Due to the tight space I had no choice but to use pretty wide focal lengths. This is with my Nikon 14-24 @ 18mm. If we stay level, the people cover a lot of the table & peripherals - and that's the product, no the people. So they asked me to get higher & tip down. And of course there is heavy distortion.

And yes I KNOW that Cannon has the damn 17mm PC lens......

I was able to mitigate some of the distortion with Lens Correction in Photoshop, but not completely. I can go farther, but then the foreground starts looking a bit strange.
Look at the original (first one) and then the PC version. I added 5" all around in canvas first , then corrected. Now if I want to crop out the blank space I will cut into part of the chairs or people on the ends.
How do I use Vanishing point to extend the blue wall in the upper corners?
I know it can be sued to "Fill" in from a selected area and even maintain texture & detail. This ought to be pretty easy but I can't figure out the sequence of steps to do it.

Here are 1200 pixel versions. I can post the high Res files if anyone wants to see them:

Also the client want me to remove the "post" in the wall on the right side for the next shoot. OY!
Suggestions? I know the rear edge wont be too bad. With clone & Healing I can smooth that out. But the front and the light gradient from darker rear to lighter front will be a pain. I'll probably use Paths to mask out the people (if any this time) and table & fill in the wall on a separate layer beneath them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Re: Vanishing Point help

Error 404 URL not found message.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Re: Vanishing Point help

Hi Jeff,

I Love the vanishing point filter, and it's pretty easy to use. Even though we can't see your images, from the description it sounds like this tutorial should cover what you need:-

And then there's this video which adds a few more cunning stunts:-

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help