RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

blue smoky area in photo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 03:01 PM

blue smoky area in photo

Could someone perhaps direct me to a tutorial on how to correct the blue area in the attached photo? Or I'd be willing to paypal someone to fix it if it's not a complicated and expensive proposition. Thanks so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad-and-Rick-2010-copy.jpg (99.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 12-10-2011, 03:52 PM

Re: blue smoky area in photo

Hi alwayzdreaming and welcome to the forums.

There are many ways to fix this type of problem. I am sure more members will drop in and show another way. I have an online screencast that shows how to remove specific Moire pattern colors. It works equally as well on color and luminosity of the blotch.

http://jkwphoto.blogspot.com/2011/05...ove-moire.html

This result example took me about 45 seconds and did not require a mask:

Click on Thumbnail
Dad-and-Rick-2010-copySFW.jpg

You should be able to achieve the results with masking and a curve adjustment layer. Hope this helps.

Last edited by John Wheeler; 12-10-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM

45 seconds? Wow, yours looks great! I'm just a novice photoshopper. Here is what I came up with so far using your tutorial, but I'm stuck because I'd like to adjust the color of just one layer so the ground matches the base photo, and can't figure out how to do that without adjusting the base photo too. How is that done? I'll do some googling too to try to find the answer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad-and-Rick-2010.draft.jpg (86.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-10-2011, 08:06 PM

I think for this one selective curves adjustments will help better than painting only.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Dad-and-Rick-2010-copy_chillin.gif (192.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 12-10-2011, 09:09 PM

Chillin has a great approach as well.

Since you asked, here is how I used the approach on my tutorial.
- Based Layer
- Next Hue Sat
- Net pure white set to Color Blend
- Copy of original background also set to Color Blend. On this layer, I sampled the good color of the ground and then just painted over the dirt (note I covered all the dirt because there was blue left in other areas on the right as well). Sample the yellow wheel and painted over the wheel to make it all yellow. Sampled under the towed farm equipment and painted under where there was still blue. Sampled the green on the equipment and painted green.
- Top Layer I put in a Levels (or Curves) adjustment layer to tune in the luminosity.

Other techniques work quite well too. I just used this because I can separate out matching up the luminosity where the blotch was before and no masking is required. Many ways to get the same job done. Keep asking if you have questions.

Screen-shot-2011-12-10-at-8.00SWF.jpg
Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 PM

Chillin, you all start talking curves and such. Way above my expertise. I notice there is a forum here where you can contract work, which I didn't see earlier. Would you mind if I used the fixed photo? I would be happy to pay you if you like. I'm making a year at a glance calendar for family for Christmas but it's turning out to be harder than I thought.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:58 PM

John, thank you for all of your help. I don't think I can do this on my own. Once I get past Christmas maybe I can take a look at all this and see if I can learn something. I appreciate your time and your photoshop genius
Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Hi alwayzdreaming
Forum members provide their thoughts and ideas and there is no obligation nor hurry. Everyone goes at their own pace and you get to pick and chose among the many options/paths to get the job done.

Sounds like you are going to have a great Christmas gift with the calendar. Enjoy the holiday season and hope to see your around the forums.

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help