RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Photos Inside: Please help me merge!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 PM

Photos Inside: Please help me merge!

Hi all,

Sorry I couldn't directly upload images - the max file size was 100.0 MB, and even after I cropped the image way small, it was still 300 MB.

I did some fun light painting tonight. I took one photo using a short exposure to get my computer's screen in. Here it is:

Computer Screen

I took a second photo using a long exposure to draw a stick figure with a flashlight:

Light Figure

I'd like to place the bright computer screen into the picture with the light figures.... because in the photo with the light figure, the screen is washed out from the long exposure.

I tried the lasso tool in Photoshop to cut and paste the screen into the other images... it looked sloppy...

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by EyeofBuf; 12-10-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2011, 09:08 PM

Re: Photos Inside: Please help me merge!

Why don't you try the pen tool and then use a feather of a pixel or two?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 PM

What does "a feather of a pixel or two" mean?

I've never used Photoshop before so I'm not hip with the lingo... I usually take photos that I like, so that they don't have to be edited. This was a rare circumstance because there are two exposures. (:
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2011, 09:24 PM

Make your selection by my using the pen tool to create a smooth path around it. Then command click on the path in the paths palette to make the selection active. Now back to the layers panel, choose the layer, click on the layer mask tool and you will create a mask. (won't work if layer is locked) You can slide the feather slider in the masks panel to feather the mask in more recent versions of PS.

If you have an older version of PS, you will have to feather the selection before you create the mask by using the drop down menu Select>Modify>Feather. I'm signing off so good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 PM

Ok, I've attached what I've done so far.

I used the selection tool and everything became black. I tried to Edit > Cut to remove it and separate it from the background, but Edit > Cut isn't an option.

Why is everything black? Why isn't Cut working?
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (34.3 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Patron

You need to turn your path into a selection then load this selection as a layer mask.

You seem to have made life a little difficult for yourself by either moving the camera or the computer after the first exposure which means that images do not line up

Anyway if it is of any help my version may help you on the way to a better image
1. Load both images as seperate layers
2. Path for screen area only of darker image. When path complete use the command icon 'Load Path As Selection'. This will turn your path into a normal selection then you can load this as your mask.
3. Path or other method again for the keyboard and Load as selection this time I just used curves to darken keyboard
4. The problem then was that the light lines coming from the keyboard were hidden by the screen. Paint low opacity brush on the screen mask to reveal some detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Computer.jpg (94.9 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2011, 09:27 PM

The problem you are experiencing, EyeofBuf, that you are using the layer shape tool, rather than the path tool. Have a look at the jpeg I attached and be sure you click on the icon I have highlighted in yellow. You should create a mask, like Tony did, rather than cut/paste functions. This will give you more control if you need to make changes.

It is true that they are not photographed at exactly the same angle/distance, so you may need to transform the image to make it match the shot you are comping it into.

~Amy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pentool.jpg (38.6 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Patron

You may in fact find it easier to forget the path tool for the moment and use the Lasso tool but this time try the polygon lasso. each time you click to fix a point a straight line is drawn between points.

Once finished drawing click on the layer mask icon and the defined area will appear as a mask next to your image. Remember you can always refine the mask a little by painting directly on it with either black or white. Not as refined perhaps as the path tool but certainly effective for this image
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help