RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

new to photoshop, little help required pls

Old 07-30-2002, 02:55 PM

It is the same thing (regarding check box). There are a few things to know about preserve transparency.

The shortcut (I'm getting fond of them) is / on the keyboard (the one with the ? mark

You cant fill ANY transparent pixels but only filled pixels, shortcuts are Ctrl +Shift + Backspace to fill with your background colour and (i think) Shift + Alt + Backspace to fill with your foreground.

I tend to use it a lot when I work with a lot of layers as it really comes into its own in these situations.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 03:40 PM

Talking

You DID say quick, and so if you just want the subject and not so much the background, just use levels (image, adjust.levels) and select each of the red, green, and blue options (at the top of the levels box in the little popup menu) and slide the middle pointer to the left on all of them individually until you get what looks good. Darkening the sea is another story explained elsewhere, but this works quickly for the child in this picture.

(it will be better on your original than on this sample due to file size limitations on posting images here)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ponyride.jpg (98.9 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 06:41 PM

Mike, your finished result is excellent, wished I could get my photo like yours
I've tried to follow your advice but it's a little too complicated for me (last time I used a paint package was at school 12 years ago and that was on a BBC)
And it gets alittle frustrating when I have to paint/mask my daughter by hand and then make a mistake later on as I cant save
looks like I'll have to go out and buy the full retail version, but which to buy..... photoshop 6 or 7? photoshop 6 is around £100-150 cheaper where I live. Do you think version 7 is worth the extra money?
I going to start photo editing and web design up as a hobby.

Last edited by Jabbr; 07-30-2002 at 07:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 07:18 PM

I had 6 and pondered the transistion to 7 as many did. I would say if you dont have 6 then wade in with 7. It has many more upgrades than 6, some of them may not be apparent but over time all will become clear. 7 has far more advanced engine, and is all over smoother. Money always an issue, but if you can afford it, go for 7, if you are more strapped you will still be delighted with 6 and maybe can upgrade later.

I dont know your age, but there may be an outside chance of an educational licence, that will be far cheaper.

Might be a great topic for a thread actually - What is the cheapest software that you can find commercially available?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 07:40 PM

I have trawled back through my files and found this for you - I hope you can use it - if you cant feel free to ask some1 here - they will always be please to help someone in a tight spot
Attached Images
File Type: gif mask.gif (7.3 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 08:06 PM

Hi Jabbr!

....If you are still trying to follow Doug's tip to solve your problem, here is where to find the elusive "Preserve Transparency" to activate....

It's on the "Fill Dialog" you open after having 'Layered via Copy' (Ctrl+J) what you loaded from the 'Grayscale' to your image....

Look here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg preservetrasparency.jpg (99.0 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 08:11 PM

Ok Flora - I know you must be muttering "Stupid Boy" in a Captain Mannering, type of voice, but as resident result producer, what is the diference between that check box and the one in the layers pallette?

btw - nice job blacknight and *grinds teeth in jealousy* nice work flora
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 08:22 PM

Hi Mike!

...and now it's your turn to
Quote:
be muttering "Stupid Girl" in a Captain Mannering, type of voice
...because I really don't know!!!!!....and to tell the whole truth and nothing but....etc....I've actually never tried the one on the layers palette.... ...there...now... I've really bared my soul...
I was only following Katrin Eismann instructions on this particular procedure....

P.S....btw...I think that your result is much better than mine!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2002, 09:01 PM

Gosh - a whole lot of great fixes here! I couldn't resist playing with it myself, so here's my offering...

First, I adjusted the levels on each channel individually, then I made a curves adjustment for color. I just wanted to get the girl to look fairly normal here. I sharpened by making a dupe, switching to Lab mode, applying USM and then copying that to a layer on my original which I set to overlay and made the layer opacity about 50%.

Then, I thought the ocean was too light, so I duplicated the layer and made a layer mask (see the layer mask tutorial). I ran a slight gaussian blur on the layer mask, and then I adjusted the levels on the ocean to darken it.

I didn't take a lot of time with the mask, so the hair and donkey fur is a bit off, but if you spend a bit more time on it you can make a better one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p5050003 jak.jpg (89.8 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2002, 03:28 AM

Jak

I think it looks simply great!....

You and Mike did a splendid job not only in removing the shadows, but in cleaning the image as well in the process!!!

P.S. do you have some magic advice on removing moiré as well?....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help