RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

new to photoshop, little help required pls

Old 07-30-2002, 06:12 AM

new to photoshop, little help required pls

I want to know if there is a easy way to brighten up underexposed colour photos without making them look too bright and garish.
I have just downloaded Adobe Photoshop 6 trial to see if i can achieve good results with this package before going out purchasing it.

Thanx for the help in advance
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 06:32 AM

Could you post an example either by attachment or link? There are a number of ways to approach this problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 07:14 AM

As Gland states there are many ways to skin a cat, without looking though, you could do worse than try this (as an over simplistic demo), Create a New Levels Adjustment layer (layer>new adjustment layer>levles) or even more simply, image>adjustments>levels. The general aim is to look at the histogram (graph) and bring the far right and far left arrows so that they are as close the the mass or area where the black is predominent. See attached example, however a copy of the picture you are working on would be a great help.

ps picture size has to be under 100k to show on the forum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg levels.jpg (30.4 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 07:26 AM

I've stuck an attachment on to show you the kind of photo I would like to edit, I have hundreds of photos like this which I have amassed over the years... Im not very good with a camera u see
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p5050003.jpg (97.4 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 08:22 AM
Janitor

Try the technique described in this thread
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 08:39 AM

You might also get some ideas HERE in the descriptions.

It's retouching challenge #10 which is a very similar problem.

To avoid this picture problem in the future, I'd suggest using some fill flash when you shoot. Many people don't use their flash outdoor on a sunny day, but it's really helpful in situations like this.

When the light source is behind the subject, some flash will even out the lighting and prevent the shadow you have there. And even when the light source is not behind the subject, some flash will help fill in the harsh shadows that often happen beneath people's eyes, nose and mouth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 12:38 PM

At the mo Im following the instructions that Doug posted the link to, Im having trouble finding "activate Preserve Transparency" option
Anyone know where this option is?

Oh and thanx to everyone who has posted here and gave me advice, you've all been helpful
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 01:35 PM

Okey dokey - heres what I did.

1 Duplicate Original

2 looked at the individual channels R,G,B and adjusted the sliders as previously discussed on each channel.

3 decided that a mask was the order of the day, hopped to channels again and used a combination of them to make my mask. (to make mask press q [quick mask] any mark you make with black as your brush colour will now in effect conceal portions of the image, white reveals it. the idea is to paint black as much of her and the donkey as possible. When you have finshed, press q again to reveal the marching ants. Ctrl + Alt + D and feather the selection by 0.5 pixels. Finally for this section select the lasso tool (L) and right click on the canvas - choose save as seperate channel.

To switch between the background and the girl and donkey use Ctrl + Shift + I , this will switch between the two.

Back in the layers from channels again. I added a new curves layer and altered the balance slightly, so that the light and dark tones gained more clarity and were less washed out. Play with whatever looks right.

With the mask activated (the marching ants) so that the donkey and girl will be effected, press Ctrl + U and increase the saturation slightly - the aim of this is to pump the colours back up to their original vivid state. Dont worry about the face being wrong, as this will be adjusted next. +7 - 15 should do the trick.

Now with your selection still active, make a layer mask (one of the small buttons near make a new layer [bottom right]) then drag a black to white gradient, so that the face is covered and back to the right shade, but the jumper and donkey still retain the boost to saturation.

Nearly there I made a rough selection of the face with the freehand lasso and feathered it by 5 pixels. Pressed Ctrl + C to copy to clipboard then Ctrl + V to paste as a new layer. Gaussian blurred the new layer by 5 and set the mode to screen, lowered the opacity of the layer to about 10-20 %.

Finally using the mask again I selected the sea and made a brightness/contrast adjustment to whighten then foam and to darken the sea.

I have made it seem complicated but this way you are sure to pick up a broad smattering of Photoshop tips, shortcuts (not that I know any) might not be as informatively useful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg donkey-ride.jpg (98.3 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 02:04 PM

ps - without reading the other thread I think this is what you are reffering to - hope it helps and sorry if I am far of the mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg preserve-transparency-in-la.jpg (27.1 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2002, 02:10 PM

Re: preserve transparency

When I use this technique, what I do is make sure the "preserve transparency" checkbox is checked in the fill dialog box. You'll find it at the bottom of the box. I'm not sure what the "activate preserve transparency" means otherwise - I've only ever checked that box in the fill dialog box.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help