RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

rick day photoshoots - question

Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 PM

rick day photoshoots - question

Hello!!

I love to "play" with photoshop,im still beginner...

but im looking how could someone do this in photoshop ....not the photoshoot :P

but the style of smoothing ,lighting ...dodging,burning i don't know the technique

but i don't think that is not photoshop..

Look the pictures are from Rick Day photoshoots with male male models ..

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Odu7eqW6gA...ick+Day+03.jpg

http://ladygalore.files.wordpress.co...rick_day_3.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2012, 05:21 AM

Re: rick day photoshoots - question

It would be time consuming to create all of that in photoshop. The initial files were probably much lower in contrast. They were definitely worked on. I would not add additional contrast in processing. I'd just process it neutral and clean. Work out the color and some of the density at a global level. There's no quick way to explain how to get those shadow and highlight transitions, although they're totally different in contrast. Good lighting does help. If the lighting is completely different, it's not a quick process to change in photoshop as it's essentially baked into the shot at that point.

Are you any good at drawing? Burning and dodging works similar to shading a sketch. It's quite similar. If you're new, you should spend some time analyzing the image before you start and make a mark up layer to give yourself some notes on where to shade and highlight. There are different ways of doing it. In the end if you're going for something of moderately high contrast like what is shown here, you'll need to test whatever technique you use for color shift or local flatness when applied.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2012, 08:45 PM

i would like to show me some steps for this result ,if it easy for you.

i am beginner of all this but i like this lightings in his photo shoots....

if i could find some tutorial ,and how to search for it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 AM

The lighting is best done when you take the shot. The point was that if it's lacking the direction and positioning that you want, you'll be working against yourself if you go to polish it up in photoshop. If you're a beginner, you're starting from the wrong place. Do you have access to a camera and some basic lighting equipment? If not, you want to find something that is shot that way. If you can't understand the lighting there, you'd never reproduce it in photoshop. You'd have a different subject from the one linked, so without understanding the flow of the lighting, how would you apply it to a different person in a different position?

Doing lighting work in photoshop is a lot of painting with blending modes or adjustment layers. If you want to remake lighting in photoshop, you should find a book on drawing in photoshop, because while a lot of people on here will try to sell you on their twenty minute techniques, what you really want to do here is draw. Then in the end you'd just replace any use of solid colors in drawing with adjustment layers or blending modes for the photo at much lower opacity or flow settings to sculpt the lighting similarly in the photo.

The point is if you are trying to do this in photoshop, you need to learn to draw in photoshop or you won't understand how to apply it to any image, and in the end photos come out better if they're lit well from the start so it's more a matter of bumping up the lighting than remaking it.

No matter what anyone tells you, you do not go from playing with photoshop to recreating lighting on any given shot just from a tutorial.

http://www.worth1000.com/

I think you'd like that site. They do a lot of cool, non conservative stuff. Much of it isn't really done realistically or to the level it would be for serious work, but it's still really fun to view.

What you must realize is that you're asking me a bad question. It comes down to "how do I reproduce X picture in a more complex painstaking manner than it was initially produced when I don't yet have a lot of skill with the program I will use for this purpose?"

See the problem there? You should be starting with fundamentals. In the end that will make your work much stronger as you progress.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 PM

My english aren't fluent...but the site u gave me ..i didn't understand how to looking for.

I want specially to learn how to do this lightings,adjustments..i don't want to learn generally.

I prefer to look an 25minutes tutorial ,i want to see how it works all this,to make practise,to learn ...

http://plusmen.blogspot.com/2010/12/...-rick-day.html
http://mancentral1.blogspot.com/2010...d-muscles.html
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4...x74yo1_500.jpg

How does it works this painting tecknique,i can't explain ...im in lost in translation :P i want ...this like photos.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help