RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Pen Tool

Old 01-22-2012, 03:09 PM

Re: Pen Tool

I zoomed in to 2-400%. Klick and drag to create a point (then hold alt to 'break' it if it is a corner). Click and drag where I want the next point. Click and drag where I want the next point. Click and drag where I want the next point. Click and drag where I want the next point.... You get the idea

One "curve" on the car requires about two points (see the image I uploaded to get an idea of where to place the points). Each handle stretch roughly 1/3 of the way to the next point (as a rule of thumb).

After making the entire path, I put it on a white background and deselected the mask (in the layers panel) so that I could see the result. If the edge was a bit off in places (e.g. 1 px of background showing), then I took the white selection tool and moved the points in a bit (use the arrow keys).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 PM

http://www.retouchpro.com/tutorials/pentool/index.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 04:04 PM

That tutorial tells you to click to make corner points, then go back to refine it into a curve. Useful to know you can do that, but to me that seems very slow as you could instead click-drag when creating each point to make it curved immediately. That would also give a lot fewer points to worry about... To select the frame in that tutorial i would have used min. 4 points - maybe up to 8 max if it was a bit irregular.

Other then that the tutorial was ok, and probably worth a try for beginners.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofty1967 View Post
Hi Guys
Could someone help to advise me on how I can make a 'clean' cut out of this car to put on another image, when I use the pen tool the results are questionable at very best, I cannot see where I am placing the selection due to the lightness of the selection line, help much appreciated.
Regards
Lofty
Photoshop Preferences>Performance>Advanced Settings

Check off the box "Anti-alias Guides and Paths"

Your lasso and pen tool will be (more) normal.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
That tutorial tells you to click to make corner points, then go back to refine it into a curve. Useful to know you can do that, but to me that seems very slow as you could instead click-drag when creating each point to make it curved immediately. That would also give a lot fewer points to worry about... To select the frame in that tutorial i would have used min. 4 points - maybe up to 8 max if it was a bit irregular.

Other then that the tutorial was ok, and probably worth a try for beginners.
I agree, the oval in the tutorial should only take 4 points.

To the original poster, a vector mask from a path is the way to go, it's endlessly ajustable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 PM

Hi Guys,
Chain, I was wondering if you would give me your opinion of the cut out I have now made of this car, I took your advice and it seems to have worked, I had to go back to redo the whole car as when I did the lower front part I included the pavement in the car, I found this very difficult to edit 'on the fly' so any pointers towards advise would be greatly appreciated.
I also did not understand the term below?If the edge was a bit off in places (e.g. 1 px of background showing), then I took the white selection tool and moved the points in a bit (use the arrow keys).
Help always very well appreciated.
Lofty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf-1.jpg (89.8 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 PM

The result looks perfect.

The part about refining, I just used the "direct selection tool" (icon of a white arrow) when fine-tuning/adjusting the path after I'm done creating it.

For editing "on the fly" I would try all the function keys (shift/ctrl/alt) and see what options they give you while using the pen tool (so you won't have to switch away from the pen tool and back - takes time). You can see the pointer change depending on function key and context.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Hi Chain,
Many thanks again for your help.
Lofty
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 AM

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to get a bit more help on this picture, I have taken the car and the shadow out separately and put them into this park photograph, I think it still looks very fake but not sure how to improve on my results.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Lofty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fake-Car.jpg (81.2 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2012, 01:55 AM

All the clues are in the original image Lofty, ie direction and strength of lighting will determine the shape and density of the shadow. You then need to remove the original building reflections from the car and replace it with foliage. An overall green tinge wouldn't go amiss but not in the hilites. Pay attention to the view through the glass and how the tyres 'sit' in the grass. Make sure the focus of the two images match. A few other details but that'll keep you busy for now - tricky job, so good luck.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help