RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Pen Tool

Old 01-22-2012, 03:25 AM

Pen Tool

Hi Guys
Could someone help to advise me on how I can make a 'clean' cut out of this car to put on another image, when I use the pen tool the results are questionable at very best, I cannot see where I am placing the selection due to the lightness of the selection line, help much appreciated.
Regards
Lofty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car-with-Shadow.jpg (98.7 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 05:22 AM
Patron

Re: Pen Tool

Your choice of Pen tool seem an ideal choice for this subject.

You may find it helpful in seeing where to place your points by duplicating the image and viewing the channels palette while working with the pen tool you can switch between channels selecting the best one for the clearest view where you are working. If needed you could alter the image using Curves or Levels on the dup to allow a better view.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 06:04 AM

Well, Adobe is busy thinking about their new business model instead of improving basic tools ... I tried to find the way how to change the color of this path while working but I wasn't succesful. Maybe it is my fault, who knows?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 09:10 AM

Thanks for your replies, I will certainly try the advise, not sure what to do after if this does not work, I might have to give up.
Lofty
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 AM

As much as I hate to admit this I have given up!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Patron

Sorry to hear that Lofty. I have to say that of all the tools in PS this is the one that I find needs lots of time and practice to get right and I still have difficulty with at times.

An alternative that may work for you is to use the quick selection tool to select the car. It will likely pick up more information than you want but if you then copy to a new layer you can start again selecting the bits you do not want to appear.

creativeretouch, its certainly not just you AFAIK there is no way to actually change the path colour while working. Searching for the answer reveals many asking for this facility. What a shame Adobe could not have given us the option to work in the foregroung/background colours - still maybe CS6 or 7 or 8
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 AM

That's odd. I see no problem; the pen tool works really well on this photo, doesn't take much time and the path is to me clearly visible when constructing the path (remember to zoom in!). Maybe I'm not understanding what the problem is?

After the path is complete, I would use it as a vector mask and put a solid color background behind it (similar to what you intend to use it on) do find where it needs improving.

Untitled-2.png

As with all Photoshop's tools has the best visibility in dark or light areas, and becomes harder to spot in the middle grays, but it's not a problem here...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Patron

Very nice example Chain, but you forgot the windows
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 11:58 AM

the path color can't be changed according to this;
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2635636

BUT you could either-

a- invert the image first before cutting it out
or
b- make an adjustment layer that increases the contrast in the whole image...making the transitions easier to see

HTH

- Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 01:57 PM

Hi Guys,
Chain, that is a great selection, can you forward me a quick e-mail on exactly how you got it so concise? (Like how fare you zoomed in etc etc)
It would be highly appreciated.
Lofty.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help