RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

What would you do to enhance this image?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Question What would you do to enhance this image?

I would appreciate suggestions to enhance this image. My goal is to keep it real and not overly processed but enhanced. It will be a canvas.

Thanks,

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 099.jpg (93.4 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2012, 05:35 PM

Re: What would you do to enhance this image?

I would do this.
More contrast.

The bra strap, I would fix.
Move the weed on his arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doug.jpg (95.3 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 PM

I would adjuist the hue saturation, brightness and contrast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0992.jpg (98.9 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2012, 12:56 AM

Even out skintone color a bit especially arm going into the hand and around the eyes. Ensure the scleras are somewhat neutral. While teeth should be white, they shouldn't be glaring. They should be relatively neutral. I'd even out the cheeks a bit, including on the kid. Be careful not to make it look fake. I just hate the blown highlights. I'd take out the two distracting pieces of tall grass. It looks a bit cut out around the hair. Is this a comp? I'd lose the bra strap if possible and touch up the spotty parts of the guy's shirt. I might paint the eyelashes in slightly or just make sure they're even. I can't tell at this resolution. There are a couple distracting stray hairs that you might lose on the woman. I might personally do a bit with the eyes and make the eyebrows slightly more even (especially on the woman), but be careful. I can't emphasize that enough.

I have no idea how you are with this stuff. I'm speaking relative to what I would do. My main suggestion is that you avoid anything that looks fake. If you can't make it look realistic (and really realistic as in don't fool yourself), don't do it. Also don't take that as condescending :P. It's not. I just see a lot of sloppy photoshop work and going lighter is better than doing it poorly.

Personally i'd focus on the lighting when you shoot. You want to avoid quite so many blown highlights. I don't suggest makeup for this. Natural skin is nicer, but the teeth kind of glare too. Also I'd even out the color in the guy's hair a bit. Normally I'd like a bit of color to the sky. In this case I'm not so sure. The background overall is a bit muddy, but I'm not convinced a simple adjustment would truly fix that. The guy looks like he might have a slight double chin, but it's not bothering me much.

Does that help? This isn't saying your photo is bad. These are just the things that I think would help it as a family portrait. I kind of want to see enveloping lighting. Glare isn't such a great thing in this kind of photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2012, 01:19 AM

The single most obvious improvement is a crop to get rid of that useless, empty area on the RHS.

I agree that it needs a little more contrast: I tackled this with a blend of the blue into RGB on darken, pasted it into a luminosity layer at 33% opacity and masked out the trees on the LHS.

It might not fit in with the OP's brief to "keep it real", but the large area of featureless, bright sky detracts from the subjects, IMO. The original looks like it's lit with a low sun, so a sky with a tinge of orange might be more suitable - I didn't have one handy.

Like Cupcake and unimatrix001, I'd clone out the grass stalk. The bra-strap dosen't bother me, but I'd burn in the 'lump'. I'd also get rid of the treetop behind the father's ear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 099_V1.jpg (95.7 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2012, 06:56 AM

Thank you to both of you for your advice and comments. Kav- thank you for such a thorough review and advice.
You brought up a good point of making things look real. And as my skills improve and I confident in my photoshop skills, I do not however think I am able to re-create something perfectly realistic. This is where I would like to take my work, though, but don't know where to continue my training.
While there are a lot of training sources here and on the web, I question what is out there is affordable complete training for retouching "people" first and foremost.
If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 AM

what about something like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uua6rs0d-infield.jpg (90.9 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataflow View Post
what about something like this
I hope I do not come off wrong... Did you save your version as sRGB? The color seems off- if it is a creative choice, then I would have to say this is not the direction I am headed...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help