RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How to reproduce this type of color tone or effect

Old 04-08-2012, 07:53 PM

Talking How to reproduce this type of color tone or effect

Hi Guys, thanks for reading. My work is focused on wedding clients, and I'm self studying post work - currently studying 2 of Kelby's books. I ran into this picture from a Korean magazine (Asian market) and am amazed by the color tone they used, it compliments our skin tones better.

I have a hundred questions but I guess I'll just start with this one: How could I reproduce the post details such as the one in this picture - specifically on its color tones, blur, and any other possible details that a pair of trained eyes can notice from it?

I am using and still learning CS5 and have used post software for around a year before CS5, only self training and practice work so far. Only recently did I get into the fascinating world of layers. So any information is very much appreciated. I'm new to this forum, will need to look around. Maybe someone can point me to a book that they could recommend for a task like this too? Thanks beforehand~!!!!

Mag. source: Wedding 21 Jan 2012 edition

wedding21-12-01-111.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2012, 03:35 AM

Re: How to reproduce this type of color tone or ef

It may take you some time and fine tuning to get it right. The lighting really makes the shot. It appears to be somewhat mixed in terms of lighting sources, but the window lighting seems to be accentuated. I think they did a bit of burn/dodge work in post to accentuate its effect there as you see it on the skin and dress. The shot looks like it was either balanced with a "slightly" (can't emphasize slightly enough) warm color balance or made slightly warm in post with relatively low saturation. This will of course look grey if the lighting and balance to the background is not intact. It'll probably take a bit more than this, but this may at least bring you to a point of departure in this regard.

With any look, it's best to really test and refine it before committing to its use on a job. Many of these guys have developed looks for their work over time. I say this quite a lot, but if it does end up requiring burn/dodge work to perfect the result, you should pick up an anatomy book. Not understanding anatomy leads to a lot of bad work and frustration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 AM

Thanks KAV! I'll tryout the method you mentioned on some of my images to get the idea. Like you said I'm learning and refining my abilities right now I'm at the stage of just learning what people can do in post. Currently only at the stage of eyes and skin tone, in regards of over all effect, it's usually not covered specifically, only like few pages per book. You mentioned a human anatomy book? Is it possible to explain this part a bit more? I'm a bit confused there, thanks again Kav
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 AM

i would say learning how shots are lit will help you in post work so it would be better to learn that before you try to learn to do post work.
even if its just learning from written tut, video tut from the internet
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 AM

Thx Dataflow, I've studied such details in depth too just nowhere near an adept, but I'm aware that you are absolutely right, an image such as this one, must have had an perfect exposure in terms of the light and shadow arrangements in the first place before anyone can do a great post like it. Hence I emphasized only on the tonal effects used in the post. Can't expect to carve a jade statue out of a piece of wood right. Thnx for your input too!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2012, 03:20 PM

I mentioned the human anatomy part because it can help with some of the highlighting. It looks predominantly lit by the actual shot, yet this could have been accented in post. The background may have been darkened slightly. It looks like it was blurred a bit too. Cheeks, nose, forehead, and arms look like they were accented slightly. You want to know a bit about muscles and bones so that if you are accenting such highlights in post, you don't make them flat. It looks weird and it's one of the most common mistakes. It'll also make it feel like you're not quite there on the look. That's kind of why I mention stuff like this. You may or may not nail it, but at least it you get a better idea of what points you should try to hit.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help