RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Can anybody assist please

Old 08-11-2002, 06:50 PM

I can honestly say that the work that moved me in the right direction took about 15 minutes - all the fumbling around took about 15 hours LOL

for what it's worth:

Margaret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg child copy.jpg (98.9 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 06:52 PM

Well done everyone, give yourselfs a pat on the back Nice effort all, Phyllis, really turned out well. No LQQER not too late at all, nice job and nice detective work
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 07:13 PM

Gosh I am overwhelmed at the response to my post. I am still working through the suggestions and playing with the image. I will post the finished product when done.

A million thank you's everybody for being so helpful.

Katie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 08:03 PM

Good work, you guys!

Margaret, I really like your re-do of that background -- that window frame was sticking up in just the wrong place! The color fix is excellent also. It looked pretty easy to me at first, but I spent quite a bit of time on it also -- for me, the easiest way was to mask off the background and work on the baby since it was difficult to correct one without ruining the other.

Jak, Blackknight, Kaifr, Doug, KenB, Phyllis, DCarr, and LQQker -- all really nice work, and all with a different look!

Katie -- it'll be fun to see your finished image and perhaps find out the actual colors when photographed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2002, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the nice comments CJ.

I found that I couldn't bring up any satisfactory color using the usual methods, so I opted for coloring it.

I added a solid color layer for the pants first and filled it with a blue color and set the blending mode to color. Then in the layer mask for the color layer, I used a black paint brush to erase the color from everything except the pants. then I repeated the process with the shirt, face and hair - making a color layer for each of them.

Once I had the bits colored, I merged all those color layers with the background and then added another layer mask and erased all the background.

To make the new background, I picked two blues and did a gradient fill then rendered some clouds on it, blurred it a bit. It was too bright, so I added a fill layer in med gray at about 50% flattened the whole mess and voila!

I'll leave out all the intermediate steps that didn't work.

I know there are a gazillion ways to color - making intricate masks etc., but I find my way using the layer masks is much quicker and you don't end up with "cracks" between the colors.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2002, 12:02 AM

HI
Katie

I had a good look at your photo and felt that it just lacked tone. To start with.

So just read the tutorial on Curves, which I got of off this great site. I gave it a go, the steps are as follows.

Opened up the Info Palette,
With the Locking Eyedropper I clicked on the pillow behind the child, to get a neutral spot, to see if there was a colour cast. I found that the blue and green channels, to be out.
I opened up a new Curves ajustment layer, and ajusted the blue and green channels till all three channels where the same number. I then went to RGB and ajusted the curves till I got the tones how I liked them.
Next I opened up a new ajustment layer in colour balance and ajusted the colours to get better skin tones.
Done a little cloning on the face to remove the shadows.
Used the shappen tool to give the eyes a lift ( thankyou Jak)
and tidyed up the vignette.

I hope this can help you.

Good Luck

Attached Images
File Type: jpg child .jpg (98.1 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2002, 08:01 AM

Excellent description of what you did Terry. I just couldn't leave this alone so I had another go at it and this is the result. I adjusted curves until I got color I liked and then replaced the background. I like this one better than the first one I did.

Margaret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg child2 copy.jpg (68.2 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2002, 12:19 PM

Well done Margaret, I like both your versions, but I think the new one slightly has the edge on the first. Certainly no shortage on help on this one
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2002, 05:05 PM

Thank you Mike - I liked the second one better too although I still have a ways to go.

so much to learn, so little time

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2002, 09:02 PM

Nice job Margaret the second one is better, and I like the background, I would also take out the background if it was my photo.

very well done
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help