RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Can anybody assist please

Old 08-13-2002, 01:05 PM

This is so frustrating!!

I was pleased with the second picture I posted yesterday and decided to do it again so I would remember what to do in the future - well, I've been at it for hours this morning and nothing is working. No matter what I do, I can't reproduce the result I had yesterday. Can't even come close

Can anyone relate or am I the only one who produces good work because of some fluke and then can't repeat the process?

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2002, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by winwintoo
Can anyone relate or am I the only one who produces good work because of some fluke and then can't repeat the process?

Margaret
Yes, I too am guilty of not keeping track of everything I do. It makes it more fun not having to keep that constant record, which is an annoying interruption. But on the other hand, if you have the discipline to take notes, you can learn how to repeat your masterpiece techniques.

I guess it all depends on your priorities...are you more interested in just having fun or is your goal reproducible results?

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2002, 06:13 PM

Margaret,

You are not alone! I have done this many times myself - producing something that's OK. But, being the perfectionist that I am, I think it can be better. And rather than improve on the version I have, I start over thinking there must have been something early on in the process that could have been improved. And no matter how much time I spend, I have never once produced a second version that I liked as much as the first!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2002, 06:14 PM

Margaret,

I've done that too. And even have done it when I've kept meticulous notes to boot!

I've come to the conclusion that, for me, there is a passion and newness in creating the first that adds something undefinable. And that, try as I may, any attempt I make at re-creating something I was very happy with the first time is more mechanical and less satisfying somehow the second time...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2002, 09:48 PM

Thanks you guys - it's good to know I'm not alone.

I've had a terrible week - my printer wouldn't produce decent color, I have a job to do that I just can't find a way to fix and I've been seriously doubting my aptitude for this business. I was thinking of packing it in.

You've cheered me up. I will hang on to your words - some wisdom for those really down days.

BTW, I think I might have the printer problem licked.

Thanks again,
Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 06:30 PM

Phyllis Stewart...you are my idol! You are so good at what you do. Any tips for us starters? I still don't have that book by Katrin Eismann yet, but plan to get it someday soon.

Anyway, I just love to play around and learn some new things, practice...practice...

I'm not too good with skin tones...
I did hand color the clothes.
I airbrushed the face a bit...great tut, Jak. That is one I have been using a lot!
PS7...auto color is a great feature.
I don't keep the best notes, because I try so many things.
Here is my try...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prettychild.jpg (65.6 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 06:50 PM

Well, Summer, I hope you start keeping better notes so you can teach us all a thing or two! I love what you did with that photo - if you see yourself as a "beginner" and produce work like that, just imagine what you'll be able to do when you get more experience!

Love it!

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 07:24 PM

thanks for the compliment winwintoo!
I really appreciate your comment. It's very encouraging. It's pictures like Phyllis' and yours and so many others at RetouchPro that have taught me so much.

I really liked your photo too...so clean and fresh looking. And I love what you did to the background!

By the way, Katie...is that your kid. He/She is beautiful...can't tell which it is though
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2002, 01:56 AM

Summertime and the retouchin is easy...

Summer, thanks for the nice compliment. I learned an awful lot RIGHT HERE! I was fortunate to stumble across this site just a few months ago and have probably doubled or tripled my knowledge and ability just from seeing what other creative and knowledgeable folks do with the many features of Photoshop.

You have come to the right place if you want to improve your skills, that's for sure! And you already have a knack for it, as evidenced by your coloring of this project. Very nice, especially on the clothes...you made his little outfit look brand new. Maybe you could tone down the eye and lip color a bit, but all in all, that's excellent for someone who claims to be a "starter!"

If you seriously want to know how I personally approach projects, I will tell you. From what you say, you love to "play around and learn new things," so you are already doing what you need to do! Because, frankly, the only advice I have is to get intuitively familiar (down to a "gut" level) with what each filter and blending mode will do, by doing rather than by reading, preferably...by hours of playing around trying this and that. Then you will have a useful toolbox to go to when you have a goal or a certain look in mind.

It's kind of like a seasoned handyman who fixes a crooked door frame, for example. He doesn't look on the web to find a formula for fixing it, or run to Sears to find a special Craftsman "Door Frame Adjuster Kit." Nor does he consult a carpentry manual to see which tools he is "supposed" to use for "Job B143: Crooked Door Frame." No, he just instinctively reaches for his level. And when he needs to pry off the frame, he instinctively reaches for a crowbar or claw hammer or some other appropriate tool, whatever is handy and will do the job, depending on the size and condition of the wood, etc.
Another example is a "good cook" who doesn't need to follow a cookbook recipe to make something good with her chicken, because she instinctively knows what ingredients to use and how to mix and cook them for the sort of meal she has in mind.

Learn enough about the tools that you can use them instinctively to create the look you are after. Don't make the mistake of just collecting a bunch of actions or recipes for "how to do" this or that and getting stuck in ruts. They haven't yet written, and probably never could write, all the actions, all the tutorials, all the books that would be necessary to describe all that Photoshop can do...there are just too many permutations! (Yes, I'm a math teacher )

To sum up, the most valuable "tip" I can think of is this: Experiment! Read books and hunt for tips, sure, but most of all experiment--a lot! It's fun and it's the best way to get really familiar with your tools.

Phyllis
www.innographx.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2002, 05:28 AM

Phyllis - excellent advice.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help