RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Can anybody assist please

Old 09-04-2002, 10:02 AM

Yes, Phyllis that was a nice bit of advice. Thanks. I too stumbled across this site late in the summer and that is when I began playing around with the "photo" part of photoshop. I have learned so much from this site and just being able to play around with the pictures, read tips from so many different approaches. I guess time and experimentation will teach me a lot. Thanks again for your advice. The work I see you do here amazes me. Keep up the great work!

My husband is a math teacher too...he used the word permute the other day and I had to look it up. I had heard of permutation but not permute...oh well...learn something new everyday.

As far as the eye color goes, I know it was a bit much, but I just couldn't get the effect I wanted so just went with it. And the lips were hard for me to...thanks for your comments!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 04:45 PM

Smile GoldenBaby

Off to try again.....

Last edited by GOLDCOIN; 09-09-2002 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 05:52 PM

Goldcoin, just re-submit the attachment in another post, or delete your first post and re-submit your post with the attachment. Doug doesn't look at them while they're uploading, but the "upload gremlins" are always around -- you're not the first person to have a problem, and I still get the "file too large" error message at times. Just check your file size, and try it again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 06:51 PM

Hello Katie.....

This is my first, FIRST attempt to work on a photo that was posted.

I just kept humming, while working on this adorable little fellow, that famous tune, you
remember it. "Oh where,... Oh where, have all the pixels gone?" That ole black magic wand, just
made everything twinkle!!

Because of the volume of " different tries"..... it wouldn't help anyone else, even if I could recall
all or some of them.

Anyway, here is that little cutie!!

My hat is "off "the all those that posted their efforts, they were
awesome.

Thanks.....CJ Swartz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby_final9.jpg (65.0 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 02:45 PM

Here's my answer, or question as it were. Im not sure about this but maybe this might help. There is a magenta edge around the painting evidently where the frame prevented fading of the colors. It is not unusual that the reddish tints are the ones that fade. They are about the worse. How about this little bit of forensic detective work.

Maybe the clue is in the magenta edge. If one could create a new image using just that part of the picture then you would have a rgb version of close to what the unfaded image might have looked like.

Then, since what is missing is the difference between the unfaded portion of the picture and the faded portion. Just take the remaining colors and tints or even channels of the faded image and subtract them from the remaining colors and tints or channels of the unfaded portion. What is left should be the hues or tints that can be added back into the faded image. At the worse, shouldnt you end up with an image that matched the unfaded edges? Maybe that would restore enough color information to futher adjust and balance the tones.

It just seems to me that for starters we need to get the whole image to at least the state of the unfaded edges then proceed from there.

Just a thought. I dont have time today to test the theory.

Tex
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 02:54 PM

In fact, now that I look at it a little closer, the best place to get a good sample of before and after areas of fading is at the 7 oclock position at the bottom with the sweater. The unfaded sweater has is a pastel blue.

Im not sure how to do it but if you can sample the faded and unfaded sweater in close proximity to each other then subtract the faded greenish color from the blue that should give you the missing tint. Then add that to the whole image for a perfectly restored image!

Yeah right, if it were only that easy. Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 05:43 PM

Goldcoin, welcome to RetouchPro, and thanks for offering assistance with this photo. He is really a cutie, isn't he!

Your skin tones look good, and I see you painted in some variation in tone also, which is good. (I have trouble painting in skin tones). I think that the clothes need a bit of texture (adding some noise, reducing opacity, or adding a texture filter), but the image is greatly improved over the original.

Hope you submit some work to the Challenges -- Retouch, Restoration, or others!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 06:03 PM

Tex you silver tongued devil - what you say makes perfect sense, but when I try to translate your words into action, I am lost.

I hope you will find the time to explain how to "then subtract the faded greenish color from the blue that should give you the missing tint. Then add that to the whole image for a perfectly restored image!" I for one would be forever in your debt.

Thanks,
Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2002, 11:53 PM

sorry

I am sorry for my tardiness in replying recently to the wonderful posts.

Busy busy busy.

Anyway this photo is for a client that at the time had not asked us to actually go ahead with the restoration. This week we got the green light so we are now scouring the wonderful tips in this thread and experimenting with them.

I promise with the job is complete that our version of the finished product is uploaded.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2002, 03:53 AM

Child Web

Hi Katie, I know a lot of people have already posted a retouch of your photo but I just had to try my hand at it also. I am new to colorization and it looked to be a good challenge for me.

I would like to thank Jak for the tuts, they helped a lot as my first attempts looked ok but not as good as the one I attched to this post.

I only made a selection of the coveralls, the rest I made seperate layers and hand colored in, the hair, face and ears. I took the other layers and used the channel curves and brightness/contrast then blended the layers using opacity.

Hope you like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg child_web.jpg (96.1 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help