RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Lost and dont Know Where to Start

Old 05-22-2012, 03:29 AM

Lost and dont Know Where to Start

Hi guys I am new to Photoshop but been doing a ton of retouching tutorials this last couple days but I cant seem to get the results I am wanting.

I did a front and side shot of my head I would like to use for a 3D Bust, However there are things in the pictures that no matter what I do I cant seem to get rid of.

I can get rid of the standard creases blemishes etc, but my problem is colors in the face.

I will do my best to describe what I am trying to do but because I am new to this I might not explain it well so please bear with me.

1: I have uploaded the original Tiff Images in High Res to my server at http://www.proflooney.net/ReferencePhotos.zip

2: First thing is I would like to even the lighting effect all around so there arent any shadows on the sides of the face etc so it looks like it is all evenly lit.

3: On the side View around the eyes it has a yellowish Jaunice type look I would like to get rid of that and get the color to match the rest of the face.
(its also noticeable on front view)

4: try to get rid of some of the 5 o clock shadow and have the face blend together better.

5: Get rid of the shininess to the face kind of tone it down some

6: and Finally on the front view besides the Jaundice look around the eyes the sides of the face seem to have a darker yellowish hue to them and would like to try and get it to match the rest of the face. I been trying to get the front and side shots to match the chin area on the front shot as even though theres a little red hue there it looks more natural.

the rest I can pretty well take care of but none of the tutorials I have found help me with the above.

Also feel free to use the head shots for any tutorials anyone might like to use them for as I freely share them with anyone who may have a use for them for any tutorial they may think they could use them on.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1s.jpg (91.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Image2s.jpg (68.9 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2012, 03:32 AM

Re: Lost and dont Know Where to Start

I forgot to mention in the side view the Cheek also is really dark and I cant seem to get it to lighten
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proflooney View Post
....2: First thing is I would like to even the lighting effect all around so there arent any shadows on the sides of the face etc so it looks like it is all evenly lit.

3: On the side View around the eyes it has a yellowish Jaunice type look I would like to get rid of that and get the color to match the rest of the face.
(its also noticeable on front view)

4: try to get rid of some of the 5 o clock shadow and have the face blend together better.

5: Get rid of the shininess to the face kind of tone it down some

6: and Finally on the front view besides the Jaundice look around the eyes the sides of the face seem to have a darker yellowish hue to them and would like to try and get it to match the rest of the face. I been trying to get the front and side shots to match the chin area on the front shot as even though theres a little red hue there it looks more natural.
I might have overdone it but it is a starting point ...

• Removed the shadows on the wall to give a cleaner line to front and side shots.
  • Removed most shadows from face, corrected discolourations, toned down global colour, minimized shininess
  • Matched colours in front and side views.

Please, let me know if I'm completely off track so I can correct and hopefully get closer to the result you wish ...

Front View B&A> SNAP-076.jpg
Side View B&A> SNAP-077.jpg
Front + Side> SNAP-078-s.jpg

Quote:
Also feel free to use the head shots for any tutorials anyone might like to use them for as I freely share them with anyone who may have a use for them for any tutorial they may think they could use them on.
Thank you very much!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 AM

Thanks Flora that was the look I was going for but though I appreciate you taking the time to do it I was more curious as to how to get rid of the problem areas as I am new to photo editing and wanting to learn myself. which was mostly the discolorations that was giving me fits

thanks again

Joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 AM

Hi Joe!!

Thank you for your feedback!

I didn't want to go into detailed explanations not knowing if this was what you were looking for ...

I'll write a step by step explanation and post it here ....

Take care...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM

Thank You So Much This is How the Model Looked before with all the discolorations.

As you can see the side wasnt too bad but trying to blend the front in made it look aweful.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me-02.jpg (68.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg me-01.jpg (59.4 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 03:25 PM

Wow Joe! Discolourations or not, it really looks impressive!!!!

Anyway I'm back with the 'how I did it' ...

Removing shadows from wall around face:

• Duplicate your Background twice
  • Lower the Opacity of the top Layer to 70% so you see how far you have to move it
  • Use the Move Tool to move it to the left, increase the Layer Opacity back to 100%, Alt+Click on the 'Add Layer Mask' Button at the bottom of your Layers' Palette
  • With a white Brush (hardness 75) carefully paint around the face to remove the shadows on the wall
See attachment: SNAP-083.jpg
  • When finished, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E (this will create a new Merged layer containing your correction on top.)

Removing dark shadows from face:

I used the 'Frequency Separation' technique ... I'm preparing a basic Tutorial on it, but, for not keeping you waiting, you can download the action I wrote for it here
  • Working on your new 'Merged' Layer, run the 8bits action on it ... It will stop only for allowing you to change the Gaussian Blur Radius (for your picture I used a Radius of 7 pixels instead of the default 4). You'll end with a small folder on top of your Merged layer but you'll see no difference in your image.
  • The small arrow on the left of the folder will open it and inside you'll see 3 layers: LOW, HIGH, COLOUR.
  • Hide HIGH and COLOUR by clicking on the eye icon on their left and click on the LOW layer to highlight it. You'll see a blurred desaturated image

• Working on the LOW layer, Alt+Click on a lighter area of your face to sample the luminosity ..

• .. and with a very soft brush (20 -30% Opacity) gradually paint over the darker spots you wish to lighten.

(my result on the LOW layer after this operation) SNAP-080.jpg
  • Make HIGH and COLOUR visible again and compare the result of your correction so far with the original..

I've reached the limit of 5 attachment per post ... I'll continue in my following post ...

Last edited by Flora; 05-23-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM

Ok on the first part I dont understand why moving the picture.

on the second part I was trying to do similar using the red channel to make a new layer with a masking layer but either wasnt working for me or I was just doing something wrong when I tried that method. I will try the one you described here
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 AM

Hi again!

Sorry for the delay but I've been very busy yesterday.

Quote:
Ok on the first part I dont understand why moving the picture.
By moving the image you overlap the light wall over the shadow on the side of the face ... The black mask on the 'moved' layer hides the global change. Painting white on the Black Mask reveals the change/correction only where you want it .. ie the shadow on the right side the face.

Quote:
on the second part I was trying to do similar using the red channel to make a new layer with a masking layer but either wasnt working for me or I was just doing something wrong when I tried that method. I will try the one you described here
Well, I wasn't a channel I used.

'Frequency Separation' uses Layers and the action I linked to my post actually does all the separating the image into its different Frequencies.

Once that is done, you can start your corrections on the 'separated layers' individually.

In my previous post I explained how to even out the 'Luminosity' (minimize/remove the very dark shadows on your face)

Now I explain how to correct the yellow tinge in some areas:

Correcting colour tinge
  • Hide HIGH and LOW by clicking on the eye icon on their left and click on the COLOUR layer to highlight it. You'll see what seems to be your 'original' image.
  • Working on the COLOUR layer, Alt+Click on a not too saturated area of your face to sample the colour ..

• .. and with a very soft brush (20 -30% Opacity) gradually paint over the yellowish spots you wish to correct.
  • Make HIGH and LOW visible again and compare the result of your correction so far with the original..

Hope this has clarified some of your doubts ... but I'm here if you have more questions ...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help