RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

removing harsh shadows

Old 08-14-2002, 02:05 PM

Nope, no blending modes. But I did make sure I tried to copy a portion of the frame that was fairly even with no sort of gradient. The part I copied was very small, and it took about 6 to 8 pastes to get the entire frame done. After that, I merged all of the pasted layers and it was just a matter blending the seams together...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2002, 12:12 AM

Here's the correct, easy, 5 second fix of of lightening the shadows around Rachel.

Nice picture,
Mig
Attached Files
File Type: zip rachel_light.zip (995 Bytes, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2002, 02:37 AM

Mig, your zip doesn't open on my computer for some reason. Is it short enough that you could copy the basic idea here?

Meanwhile, here is how I would fix these flash shadows, which is something I usually have to do on my own flash photos before printing copies. Since the shadows are soooo small, it's very quick and easy just to clone them away, working, as Jak does, on the area in question placed on a new layer to make it easier to blend.

I also cropped it...way too much background for my taste, and had to get rid of that green hair!

Phyllis (who wasn't aware that there was a "correct" way to deal with these shadows...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadowgirl.jpg (60.9 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 08-16-2002 at 02:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2002, 04:06 AM

Mig, got half of it at least...

Well, Mig, I changed browsers and got your zip to dnld and open, so I could read your .txt file, but my Mac doesn't recognize .acv files. Could you post a .jpg of your results with curves? Thanks.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2002, 09:31 AM

I second that - Mig, please post a file that we can all read.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2002, 09:04 PM

Sorry about that - I'm not familiar with Macs. I thought those files were all the same.

Here's the pic. Mind you, I like the original too, but if you want to lighten the shadows, they're lightened here.

Mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rachelcopy.jpg (87.9 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2002, 09:12 PM

Here's a picture of the curve with an explanation...

Here's the way with curves. This can also be done with Levels - which is the equal brother to curves - but I don't know how.

To make your own curve like this for rachel, run your mouse over the image with the curves dialogue box open. YOu'll see the dot on the line move around. Put your cursor on the parts of the pic you want to lighten, this being the shadows, like under the bowl is a good spot. Watch where the dot is on the curve. Tug gently on the curve at that approximate point to lighten those areas. You may have to anchor the curve in the centre first by clicking there and adding a dot to the curve.

Sounds complicated but once you practice this for fifteen minutes this fix takes a few seconds.

To finish...

duplicate the layer, blur it to smithereens, change the blend mode to screen and reduce the opacity to somewhere around 15. Sharpen the background layer a little and it's near perfect.

Hope this helps
Mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curve.jpg (47.7 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2002, 09:25 PM

Thanks Mig. Macs have no trouble with most files that are posted here, but for some reason, .zip files get mixed up even though there is built in capability to unzip them - one of the mysteries of computers.

I didn't know that you could find spots on the curve by moving the mouse over the image - that is very interesting and good to know. Thank you for sharing that.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2002, 09:31 PM

Here's my version. I just cloned out the shadows on the window frame, slected it and added a little blur, then I used variations to get it back closer to white. This turned her face a little more red though, so I added a selective curves layer and toned down the red. Removed the persons hair in the top left corner and probably some other things that I forgot during the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rachel_kb.jpg (83.3 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2002, 09:38 PM

Mig.....try as I might

I can't get this to work...what am I doing wrong??

"To make your own curve like this for rachel, run your mouse over the image with the curves dialogue box open. YOu'll see the dot on the line move around. Put your cursor on the parts of the pic you want to lighten, this being the shadows, like under the bowl is a good spot. Watch where the dot is on the curve. Tug gently on the curve at that approximate point to lighten those areas. You may have to anchor the curve in the centre first by clicking there and adding a dot to the curve."
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help