RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Urgent help on a large, hi-res image

Old 07-18-2012, 12:05 PM

Urgent help on a large, hi-res image

I have an image, which is being printed for a client at 30"x40". It was taken on a Canon EOS 1D in a studio. I've processed hundreds of images similar to this in the past few years, many of which have been printed at 30"x40" or larger.(They're all Black & White by the way)

This one is causing a real problem. There is a large area of black on the photo - due to the fact that the subjects are wearing dark clothing. This is never normally a problem. I can get great shades of grey/black within the shadowed areas.

However, this time, when printed, the image displays a flat-black area, followed by immediate pixelation/noise. It looks terrible.

I've not done any new techniques on this photo, the resolution is the same as any normal photo I produce, and the printer has been checked and cleaned.

I've even tried printing it as a 10"x8" to test it, but it still displays the same flat-black area, followed by pixelation. The rest of the image (faces, trousers, shoes) are fine. It's just the dark shirts which are causing this.

It's worth saying that I've printed images since then on the same printer, with no problems.

I've tried reducing the black % using selective colour, I've tried reducing resolution, changing the shadows/highlights, I've tried reducing the noise, and even tried starting the edit again with the original raw file.

Still the same result.

Apologies if I haven't explained well enough, please ask for more details if you need them. I'm just not sure where to start on this.

I'm not allowed to upload the whole image, so I took a photo with my phone of the main problem area: http://jilo.co.uk/photo.jpg - apologies for the quality!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Patron

Re: Urgent help on a large, hi-res image

I do not think the phone image is good enough to make any judgements. As it seems that you can post an image of a portion please crop directly from your file similar to your phone pic. this will be a big help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM

I can do that when I'm back at my work station tomorrow - I took this in a rush as I was leaving work earlier.

Although, to be honest, it's not that clear to see on the original file. I believe it is present on the .tif 16 bit file, but it seems to be very much clearer when printed.

When printed, the area in question reminds me of a very early digital print - not the effect I'm looking for!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Patron

Sounds possible that the shadow areas fell off in the RAW capture due to exposure and what level of detail remaining will not respond well to editing to recover that detail - just a guess though
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2012, 07:19 AM

Sounds like you simply have no image information in those areas. Black is black. Can you selectively smooth or blur those areas to eliminate the pixelation and noise?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help