Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Incorrect image kb size - how do i correct this?!

Old 07-23-2012, 05:34 AM
Exclamation Incorrect image kb size - how do i correct this?!

Hi All,

Long-story short.
- On Friday I took a photo on my phone before accidentally deleting it about an hour later.
- Used ZAR Software and recovered it in the same day. Saved to laptop, however could not view. Thumbnail is a simple icon, and when clicked says 'no preview available'. On my phone the thumbnail is clearly visible, but when clicked says 'cannot read file'.
- Today I tried about my hundredth recovery software in hope of finally recovering my somehow corrupt or damaged file. It didn't mend the file, but I did notice something interesting. Not only did it list the recovered image, but the ORIGINAL image. I knew this because of the date and also the KB size was different. The KB size for the recovered image was an unrealistically low 32. I'm thinking this was because it was just for the thumbnail. The KB for the original image displayed as '221.47 KB'. This sounds much more realistic to me. I tried saving THIS version of the photo to my laptop, however the size decreased to 64KB. I may try uploading THIS image to my phone to see if it's any different. I doubt it though.

I was wondering if there is any way to increase the KB size back to it's original? This way I can view the full photo if what I'm thinking is correct.

Thanks for any help,
Slowly Losing Hope.

Forgot to mention, File Scavengar Data Recovery was the new Software that I tried today. Also realised that the reason that although the original KB Size was 221.47 and it reduced to 64 KB after saving was because I was in 'demo' mode and the maximum KB to save is 64. Unfortunately I don't want to pay, and even if I did, without a preview it is not guaranteed to recover the jpg.

Last edited by ♥Charlotte♥; 07-23-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Re: Incorrect image kb size - how do i correct thi

Scavenger is a great program. It has saved about 4 hard drives (I have dozens) over the last few years and recovered all but a few files.

Highly recommended and it is extremely inexpensive (I am of the mindset that if you get a great product, you should be happy to compensate those that developed it). $50 seems reasonable enough for what it does.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help