RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with funkily corrupted JPG files

Old 08-06-2012, 12:35 PM

Help with funkily corrupted JPG files

Hello everybody,

new here, just joined because after a short browse I thought there are very knowledgeable users around.

My problem is as follows: a friend lends me a cheap digital camera for my holidays (girlfriend stole my own), it works, i come back, and then I realise that several images are corrupted. Not unreadable... just some messed up info in them. I'm posting two links below where you can see the full size image, please have a look and you'll quickly understand.

Funny enough, thumbnail shows the uncorrupted image, but when opened to full size, wwwaaaap, there it is. (I've just realised that thumbnails ALSO look corrupted once transferred to the PC). They didn't get corrupted when being transferred to the computer, as they are just the same when read directly from the camera's memory card.

Here's the links:

http://www.alter.cat/image1.jpg
http://www.alter.cat/image2.jpg

Thanks a lot in advance!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Re: Help with funkily corrupted JPG files

I had a problem with this camera a few years back.

It is Nikon's fault . I sent my camera back and they fixed it.

It was worse then yours. Now it is all better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 AM

Yes, it's a Nikon. But I don't care about the camera itself... I just want to fix the pictures! There must be a way.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM

There is no easy/simple fix for this. First you have to select the area that is messed up, luckily it is a straight like so use the rectangular marquee tool. Zoom in tight so to avoid as much of an overlap. Make a new layer with the selection you made. Since the camera has not only messed up the color and contrast of half of the file you also need to move it over and line it up to the unaffected area. Once you have done that you can start with playing with curves and other color/contrast correction layers to match the messed up selection to the good one.
Once you are happy with the color/contrast flatten the image (but not before making a background copy).You will notice that now you have a thin line going through the image. All you have to do is clone/heal that line out...Simple!!! LOL

I took the liberty and did the image of the old woman for you
Hope that helps and hope you don't have to many of them

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9674/oldladyfix.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 PM

Holy thing! You did a great job.

I don't have "many" of those, i think around 12 or so. If you remember what settings you used exactly, it wouldn't be too complicated to run and save a script to automatise all the actions, and then the only work left to be done is to select the damaged area.

But this will get me started... great! thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Interesting, what Nikon model is this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2012, 07:11 PM

I don't know, I borrowed it from a friend for my holidays. My (now ex-) girlfriend had mine, and she's kept it. The faulty Nikon was some kind of CoolPix, but can't remember the exact model. It must be a common problem, my friend said this happened very often to her, using the same camera. Unfortunately it's an old model so she can't send it to have it repaired -- no guarantee anymore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2012, 11:53 PM

Odorono, it's doable. Takes some time and effort but if the images are important to you you can save them. If you'd like, let us know what version of Photoshop you use (or what program you work in) and we can offer some suggestions on how to proceed. This was fun to work on and the forum is kind of slow right now, maybe post some more of the images that are important to you and you can maybe get image specific suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (63.6 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help