RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Stumped on these lips.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Stumped on these lips.

Hello all,

I do not know what to do with these lips! I have attached two files: a before and an after. I acknowledge the after isn't half finished, but I'm not sure I'm handling this correctly.

I spent a good amount of time using Free Transform and Liquify to try and reshape the lips with no solid results. I tried drawing in lip wrinkles on the upper lip, but that didn't feel right. Truth is, I could spend more time on one of those methods, but I'm not confident either is the true solution to cleaning up these lips and making them look beautiful.

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate some guidance. The attachments are crops as to respect the privacy of the model I worked with.

Thank you for reading!

-Zeke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lips_01.jpg (88.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg lips_02.jpg (67.3 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 AM

Re: Stumped on these lips.

Those are a bit problematic . . . my first impression is that they really need to be reshaped by hand (cloning) instead of liquify. Liquify and the like just distort too much sometimes, and with the subtle textures on the lips you could lose a lot of detail. I would start by redefining the overall shape of the lip with a path. Once you have a path shape you like, I would convert that into a selection and start cleaning up the weird shadows happening on the right and left sides of the upper lip (those are defining alot of the overall shape). You can clone or dodge those out and that should start to help redefine the lip. Invert that selection and start cleaning up where the lip falls outside of your "perfect lip shape" and then hit the entire thing with some subtle D&B to continue to redefine the shape. Subtlety is going to be key in blending everything, so just be patient as you go. Also, addressing the lip texture you've been working on, I would just keep that going and watch closely how each lip line curves as those curves will impact the overall perception of shape. Hopefully others will chime in here and give you some other ideas, but those are the ones that jump to mind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 PM

Hey, I apologize for the tardiness of this, but thank you so much for your tips. I appreciate the help and will do my best to fix these lips.

I ended up delivering without further work due to the deadline, but for technique's sake, I'll go back and see what more I can do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2012, 09:10 PM

I appreciate the follow up, no worries on the delay either. Some people never get back to these threads and we are all left wondering what happened . . . so I appreciate your post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 PM

I would add some texture & D&B,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lips_01_chillin.jpg (169.7 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help