RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How would you handle this pic?

Old 08-19-2002, 11:50 PM

I didn't realize how difficult this was until I tried it. Could've been used as a good challenge.

What the others recommended is all good. The link Jeaniesa posted is a good one.

What' I'd recommend is try to push both pictures towards one another, keeping what's fixable and tossing what's not. The girl is too bright and I doubt you'd be able to move the good from him over to the bad for her, so you might want to consider a compromise.
To get this result I desaturated the picture, first selecting the girl's picture, going to channel mixer, then to the guy's and doing the same. If you don't know how to turn a colour pic into b&w this way then just use hue/saturation or even desturate if you have to. The colour can be put in at the end.
Next you need to reduce the contrast of her, probably the best way is to use curves, but you can use whatever you're comfortable with, even brightness/contrast. Do the same with him, always trying to match them up by eye. You'll get more detailed later.
These more global changes start to push both pictures closer to one another in appearance.
An important part of all this is the info pallette. By opening up this pallette and running your cursor over different parts of the picture you can read the numbers for brightness (B). This is very important. If the readout for his left cheek is 80, then that's the neighbourhood you want for her left cheek and so on... You want to vaguely match them in different areas for brightness, especially their cheeks, nose, chin, neck and parts of their hair.
Keep making changes to the pic until the numbers more or less match up.
To help with this, add a layer of 50% gray edit>fill>50% gray and change the blend mode of this layer to soft light. Then dodge and burn the layer. This is a big key to matching these two people, dodge and burn.
Put a bg in behind them that more or less looks the same.
Add some colour.
This is a very difficult fix so don't be discouraged. Just keep experimenting. If you have any questions pm me.
This took about an hour, it was quite difficult.

Mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matchcopy.jpg (77.0 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 12:34 AM

Nice job, Mig. I especially like how you brought out the detail in her mouth. The only thing that bothers me is that in bringing them "together" he got a bit feminized with softer smoother skin as if he, too, is wearing make up. Perhaps layer-blending back some of his original skin texture would take care of that though.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 01:37 AM

You guys are good, really good. This just goes to prove that you learn by watching. I did a luminosity mask and curved the shadows to be more consistant across her face then I used the lighting effects trick to make the lighting more interesting then I did similar to his. I would like some advise on how to colorize the pics. I think I should bring both to an even start of desat or grayscale and colorize them equally. But Im not sure how to reintroduce the yellow/sepia cast across the entire pic. And Im not refering to the background at all. Ill just place that there when this is all done.

By the way, my ideas havent produced a perfect match but Im still experimenting with it. I am convinced however after trying some of these out that getting a near perfect match is doable. Its just hitting on the magic formula.

I have always said "With Photoshop, if you can imagine it, it can be done."

Any other help would be appreciated.

Tex
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 09:03 AM

I found the red channel in both were the closest in consistency. I deleted the other channels. I extracted him and placed him on a new layer. Then added a gradient matching hers. I adjusted the curves then experimented with tritones, since he liked his version.
Then I applied the tritones to her and I think it softened her a bit. On my screen she looks closer to him now. There were many other tones that looked good as well, but I stopped with this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg couple.jpg (56.5 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 09:46 AM

I did this before I read the last sentence where you said you wanted to match to the guy rather than the woman. Oh well.. anyway....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lookalike1.jpg (74.8 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 10:47 AM

dcarr,

Sounds like that will be a good try. Your pics look good. I havent really learned how the blending modes can be applied very well so what I need to understand is how to give color to a layer (other than color sliders) by blending a lower layer or some other method to give a natural look to the color applied. So that it doesnt look applied, if you know what I mean. Not that yours doesnt its just that I would like to know the recipe for doing it.

Tex
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 11:44 AM

Tex,

The easiest way I know of to add a sepia tone is to create a new layer and fill it with a sepia-toned color of your choice. Then set the layer's blending mode to Color and adjust the opacity until you see the tone you want. (You can tweak it even further by adding a Hue/Sat adjustment layer that is grouped with the filled layer - than adjust the sliders to get the exact tone you want.)

There is a slightly more complicated version of adding a sepia tone in this tutorial.

Hope this helps.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 11:56 AM

Rather than just sepia, I decided to try mixed tones. After selecting only the red channel, I converted the pic to grayscale. Then I selected duotones. using the color picker, I was able to watch the change in the photo. still no liking what I was seeing I switched to tritones and blended some shades of beige. That's when I got this version. Most importantly, as long as I've been using PS I play and play with as many pictures as I can to see what settings can look like. Just keep playing and you'll understand more and more.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 09:09 PM

Mig,

Your procedure for using dodge and burn on a 50% gray layer in soft light mode is a winner. I don't use these two tools much because of their destructiveness. But your procedure gives me the control I need.

I have a question regarding the info palette.

You said “An important part of all this is the info palette. By opening up this palette and running your cursor over different parts of the picture you can read the numbers for brightness (B).”

The only “B” I see on the info palette is the “B” in RGB. Is this the “B” you’re referring to. This tool has always confused me. I can see by your example that this is a powerful tool and I would like to understand it.

Thanks.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2002, 09:23 PM

Sharon,

I just learned something trying to figure out the answer to your question regarding (B) in the info palette. If you have the info palette open, then click on the little triangle in the upper right portion of the palette. This will bring up a menu - then choose Palette Options. Here you get to choose what form of readouts you want in your info palette. I would change the second color readout to be HSB (mine defaults to CMYK). That's the (B) you want to keep track of using Mig's technique.

Mig, I second Sharon's thanks for the dodge/burn on 50% gray layer. Wow - that's going to help me so much!! THANKS!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help