RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Dimpled texture

Old 05-23-2009, 04:38 PM

Re: Dimpled texture

It's been a long time since anyone posted a suggested solution to the problem of removing the "golf ball" pits in textured prints that stubbornly remain after a scan.

Well, I am an absolute newbie to RetouchPro, but I've been restoring and retouching photos for nearly 10 years, so I've had to develop a bit of experience in dealing with this problem.

This is my very first post, so please bear with me. I frequently have solutions to many different kinds of problems present themselves to me in dreams or when I'm just relaxing and "daydreaming." On one such occasion a probable solution came to me like a bolt of lightning.

Our problem is that we have been dealing with "reflected" light by using either a scanner or hi-res camera. The textured dimples will reflect the light that bounces around inside of a scanner from many different angles, and just rotating the print and using layers and various filters will minimize only a very small amount of these reflections. And, a camera will also record the reflections from ambient daylight or room lighting.

Before my "revelation," I thought that having a single-point light source falling on a textured print at just the right angle would largely minimize the problem if I cut out nearly all other ambient light, so I jury rigged a light box with a hi-res camera on one side and the print at the other, with blackened interior walls to absorb as much ambient light as possible except for a slit in a sidewall through which my light source could be outfitted to strike light on the print at varying experimental angles.

Yet, no matter how many angles I tried, there was nothing that completely eliminated the textured print "pit" reflections. It seems apparent that light from even a single point source falling on the surface of a textured print must bounce around inside the texturing and come back out at multiple angles, including the straight on (perpendicular) angle at which the print is being viewed or recorded by a camera.

My flashpoint idea said to me that I had use no reflected light at all. How? By using the print like a transparency and having the light shine through it from its backside to the camera.

I used a slide viewer as my light source and mounted a textured print on its glass surface. I masked all of the rest of the glass area around the print in black paper and again used my "black box" to eliminate almost all other light that could fall on the print's textured surface. Obviously, the back side of each print must be clean with nothing written or printed on it, or such things will have to be eliminated in your photo-editing software. The camera was mounted on a tripod so that a suitable timed exposure could be made since light coming through a print will be much dimmer than light falling on and reflecting from its surface. The shot should be made in macro mode for small prints to a fill, as nearly as possible, the entire area of the camera's digital light sensor (I'm assuming you would be using a hi-res digital camera set for its very highest resolution). Pin cushion and other types of lens distortions are now a very quick/easy fix in Photoshop.

Believe me, THIS WORKS 100%!!! I now use this method exclusively to digitize textured prints. It totally eliminates the problem. And, once you have your very own inexpensive equipment put together, and have done it a few times, you'll likely not ever need to try anything else. It becomes faster and easier every time you need to do it again. Please let me know how it works for you!

Rhonda
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2009, 07:18 PM

Thanks R Dinwiddie for the technique.
Up till now, I've always relied on Image Analyzer or ImageJ
Below is a sample of an Image Analyzer outcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jimsem_imagean_chill.jpg (150.8 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2009, 09:29 PM

Hey Chillin,

Thanks for the reply. It's a little too difficult to really see your outcome online, but the technique I described is really worth a try. It works for me without transferring a hint of texture, and nothing is lost due to noise filters and or other type of deliberate blurring unless the photo really needs a it anyway. Good luck.

Rhonda
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 10:25 AM

2nd Reply to Chillin,

I didn't notice the difference between your final results, using the tools you describe, and the original scan simply because I hadn't seen the original scan in earlier posts. But I have now, and the difference is quite obvious. You, and others, have done a remarkable job! However, my technique, I truly believe, is far superior in final results and far less time consuming than any others that I have seen described and/or displayed.

I will soon be preparing some examples to show the actual original scans and final results of my technique. I will try to get it done this week and maybe even today if time permits.

Rhonda
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 01:20 PM

Thanks eager to see them
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 PM

The two attachments display an original textured photo and the edited version with texture removed using the technique I described in previous recent posts by transmitting light through the photo rather than reflecting light from its surface. All traces of the tiny wavy lines have been removed. Please let me know if you try it and display your results.

Rhonda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JB 2 Cutout Original.jpg (67.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg JB 2 Cutout Edited.jpg (53.9 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by R Dinwiddie; 05-27-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help