RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

patchiness and shadow, esp. on 1 side of face

Old 12-28-2012, 06:30 PM

Re: patchiness and shadow, esp. on 1 side of face

If you make a copy of the base layer and then click filter, blur, average, then use the eyedropper to sample that color. Now delete the layer. Now you can take the saturation all the way down and when you are completely done with the image add a blank layer, fill it with the color and switch the blend mode to color. Now you have the original patina but with no stray colors.

Masking is very useful where, for instance a multiply layer works well for the snow but makes the cabin too dark. 3rd Icon from the left at the bottom of your layers pallet. White reveals, black conceals.

You did a very nice job. There is only so much you can do with the information available in the scan. I can suggest selecting the face and jumping it to it's own layer. Command, J.
Now forget everything else and do what you can with the face. Once you've done that you can make a mask from your face layer and work on bringing the rest of the image in line with what you've done to the face.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 PM

ok, I think I got rid of much of the color cast, maybe not perfect.

I now understand how to make a layer mask. A long time mystery solved. I wasn't sure how to do something with the mask once I made it, so I still have a a lot to learn.

I worked on the face a lot, using a layer with only the face as you suggested. Everything seemed good on a microscale. However, I didn't like the final effect. I think I dodged too much. Looked photoshopped. More importantly, what I took as a determined look got converted into something else. Detracted from the character of the person.

So I went back to earlier version.

face is very patchy. However, better than taking away the character. Do you have any other ideas for me?

Here are two things that are flying around in the back of my brain. Something I read about monotone (?converting from RBG to monotone maybe). Also, I tried high pass filter, however, that made things worse - more patchiness.

I guess about 6 inches or so of snow today in New Hampshire. At least for once I didn't have to shovel it! Thanks again, Ruth
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UncleFredFINAL3.pdf (59.0 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2012, 04:43 PM

Ok, how about this idea. I applied all my new learning to the other image I have. Somehow this one seems better to me. If you have any thoughts, again they would be much appreciated. I realize that it doesn't have enough contrast and the face is shadowed. Just not sure that whatever I might think of as a possible approach might make things worse.

Many questions remain in my mind as to whether I am doing things really exactly correctly. Especially, it is not clear to me that I have the layers in the correct order. For example, I don't know whether I should move the sliders in on Red Green Blue as a layer right on top of the image, or whether that should go on top of the multiply and overlay layers.

Anyway, I do feel I am getting somewhere, so thanks so much. Ruth
Attached Files
File Type: pdf repartirazero.pdf (30.1 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2012, 09:11 PM

Hi Ruth
I wonder why you post pdf's? If you use the save for web function in Photoshop it will give you a slider to cut your jpeg down to just under 100k. Oh, and you can save it in a different file or with a different name so you don't have to flatten the psd you are working on.

Everything that you are trying on these images is a learning experience. You've found that high pass was not appropriate for your image BUT you tried high pass! Now high pass is in your tool box. Nothing is wasted.

Smart objects are great. And if you use the middle icon at the bottom of the layers pallet as opposed to selecting, say, levels, from the adjustment menu you can always go back and change the actual adjustment rather than just the opacity.

Sometimes you can't avoid combining all your layers to a new layer and working from there. Slam your left fist on the keyboard and E (Command, shift, Option, E). That might be a good question for a new thread; what order do folks usually use for restorations?
Personally I try to fix contrast first with a levels adjustment or in the case of your image with a multiplied layer and then a levels adjustment. From there I fix color. Then I start picking at the restoring, last is always sharpening and readjusting color. I'll bet if you asked that question though, if you got 20 answers you might get two exactly the same. There are RGB sliders all over the place in Photoshop so unless you say hue sat, I don't know which one you are using. But the multiply blend mode layer should come first, then overlay. Those are just basically correcting for light and dark and adjusting contrast, giving you a good starting point for everything else.

Hope some of that helps. I'm going to take a look at your other image in a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2013, 09:21 PM

I really feel I am making progress on my first image! I started all over again, and did some things that I thought were illegal. Main thing was jumping the face to its own layer (after I did multiply overlay, etc). Then I did a surface blur, on the face with the eyes excluded. Also some more things, but here is the current result.
I am just aiming for one image that I feel is useable.

Thanks so much to this forum for being there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewResolution2.jpg (95.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by RCraig; 01-16-2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: updating image
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help