RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

patchiness and shadow, esp. on 1 side of face

Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM

patchiness and shadow, esp. on 1 side of face

This is my first attempt at restoring old photos. I read as much as I could and watched many videos on the web. I used a Channel Mixer layer, then a Curves layer, then Multiply (92% opacity), then Linear Burn (14% opacity). I also did I lot of repairs, and dodging.

The issue to me is the patchiness of areas of light on the face - such as on the left as you look at him (the man's right) lower cheek, between the eyebrows, on the tip of the nose, etc.

I am not attaching the original because it is extremely weathered.

Any comments or suggestion would be very welcome. This picture means a lot to me and many others in my family.

Thanks very much

Last edited by RCraig; 01-13-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: progressed image
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:40 AM

Re: patchiness and shadow, esp. on 1 side of face

Depending on the size of your original scan, you can try a noise removal or careful smudging followed by brushwork, dodge and burn to reshape the face and keep the resemblance to the original and reapply some noise back in. Must be really careful not to lose the details though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 AM

Thank you so much for your advice. Yes, one problem is that the scan is low resolution. But it is all I have. I did do some dodging, as the shadow on the face was quite dark. I tried noise removal, but am not very skilled at it - was not sure that it helped in the right places.

I am also not good a smudging. When I use smudge, it really looks like a smudge. Perhaps you could elaborate a bit more on the "followed by brushwork" part. I saw quite a few videos about brushwork, and blend layers, but I couldn't really understand.

For other places on the image, I have gone just about pixel by pixel to even things out. However, I find that difficult to do on the face, as when I zoom it, I lose the sense of where I am in terms of the facial features.

Thanks so much for your response, refurbishing seems to be quite enjoyable, a good hobby.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2012, 06:35 PM

btw, one of the best ways to learn (IMO) is to post the original and let others work on it and then post their results explaining how they got there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 PM

I took a quick run at it. The color channels are the same. Not sure how we got there? Anyway for me contrast helped a lot. I used levels and brought the dark and light sliders closer. Not really a lot of info in the darks so I clipped them a lot. Then burnt the mid-tones in the uniform to take out the pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Current.jpg (80.8 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 PM

thanks so much, yours looks terrific. Here is the original image. One thing is I seem to have to reduce its size to upload it, so I am not sure whether this will be helpful to you.
I read about rebalancing the color channels, and tried to do what was suggested, but perhaps I didn't do things correctly.
The thing I am still seeing is patchiness on the face. I am thinking I may try to burn some of those light patches.

Thanks so much! Talk to you soon,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (90.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:07 PM

Craig, I tried again with the original. Or, is it? There is an edit on top where the rafter on the roof repeats, at least it looks like an edit to me. Anyway, This time I started with 2 layers set to multiply and then one set to overlay. Before you start change the image to 16 bit or you will shred your histogram. After that I did what I think you are talking about when you say "rebalancing the color channels" where I went into levels and brought the sliders for each channel closer together. You may know this but as you drag the levels sliders hold the alt key (option mac) and you will see a preview. When you start to see black dots you are starting to clip. That's where I'd start. Depending on your purpose and the time you have you could zoom in close and dodge and burn the face to try to lessen the patchiness.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Thank you so much again for your help.
Thank you also for spotting that - I think somehow the top strip duplicated. I am going to crop the top strip to get rid of that edit.

I think I did not properly explain the thing I did with the 3 color channels. I did a channel mixer layer. I set blue to 85%, green to 10%, and red to 5%. The reason was that most of the signal seemed to be coming from blue. But I have a very limited understanding of these things. My new understanding from your response is that I should first change the image to 16 bit, then put on 2 layers set to multiply and 1 layer set to overlay. Then add a Levels layer and drag the sliders for each color holding the option key (Mac) down as you suggest.

Hope my understanding of your suggestions is correct. I guess that I should take off the channel mixer layer that I had originally put on. Also, if possible, what is the purpose of the 1 layer set to overlay.

Sorry to be such a novice. I really do want to learn more, and learning from actual people is preferable to watching the videos as sometimes a novice gets confused by different advice in different videos.

Much appreciated, we have a bit of snow coming down up here in the Northeast. Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Yes you understand what I suggested. After you apply the layers with blend modes either flatten the image or do "cmd, opt, shft, E" so that your levels adjustment isn't just applied to the top layer.
As a rule, the blue layer is the worst layer. Usually most of your image info (and the best quality) is in the green channel. In your image I don't think the channel adjustment is the way to go. If you look at the histogram for each channel you'll see that neither the lights or darks are clipped in any of the channels and the pattern isn't particularly better or worse in any channel, so I don't see a lot of benefit by altering the channels. Granted, you may be seeing something different in your better quality original.

Overlay multiplies the darks and lightens the lights. After 2 multiply blends there is still room to darken the darks and the lights need the lightening. You can use the opacity slider to taste. The image is really lacking in contrast. Just leave your histogram up as you work and keep it updated and keep an eye on it.

We all started as novices and it's a constant learning process. There are folks here who's skill level far surpasses mine.

I'm at 8000 feet in the colorado rockies. Sunny and a balmy 30 degrees.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2012, 05:56 PM

Ok, I think I mostly understand. I had to lower the opacity on one of the multiply layers because the image was so dark. There was always some kind of either pink cast or gold glow. So I put on an adjustment layer and lowered the saturation (to -30) and lowered the hue a bit. There is still a bit of a color cast.
Overall, I am not sure whether it is better or worse. Some things are better, but some other things are worse. Any thoughts very welcome. The main issue for me is the face. I don't care too much about the rest. I dodged quite a bit and burned in some places such as the tip of the nose. It worked, but on the other hand the face now seems to have a bit of a ghostly appearance, at least to me.

Thanks so much again. Our snow storm up here was relatively mild although the gym was closed for a day. Ruth
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UncleFredFINAL4 copy.pdf (66.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by RCraig; 12-28-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help