RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Can you please explain what is happening???

Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 AM

Can you please explain what is happening???

This has been making me insane for 2 days now.

Hopefully I can explain this clearly, but I'm starting to lose track of everything I've been trying.

If all else fails, I'll try to do it again and give a step by step of exactly what I'm doing and maybe someone can help me.

First of all... I'm not a retoucher... I'm just a photographer... so I'm sorry if this question thoroughly irritates anyone, haha.

I have an image that I started out with in Lightroom. After doing some editing in Lightroom, I exported to Photoshop.

After doing some Calvin Hollywood trick to the image, I was satisfied with how it looked and then exported the image... only to find out it looked like a ROYAL mess in the JPEG.

It was less contrasty, much more grainy, the blacks were faded... it was just horrible all around.

At first I thought that maybe I had pushed the file information too far with my editing, so I went BACK to Lightroom... started all over again... did a less extreme edit and exported to Photoshop *again*.

Same crap happened.

So ignoring the fact that this file is no longer "retouched" because I got so frustrated with having to do it over and over and over again to get the same crappy results... here is what it looks like:

This is a screen shot of the image in Photoshop... it's still a .psd at this point:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8248/8...5df1eae1_z.jpg

Then after I saved that .psd and reimported into Lightroom, this is what the Lightroom preview looked like:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8090/8...55b1db54_z.jpg

Then when I tried exporting the .psd as a JPEG through Lightroom, this was the result:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8097/8...689da780_z.jpg

And just to see if maybe Lightroom was my issue, I went back into Photoshop... opened the .psd file, and exported from *there* as a JPEG and *this* was the result:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8386/8...44ee0613_z.jpg

It's the same exact thing as what Lightroom was exporting... NEITHER of which are what the .psd looks like open in Photoshop.

I have been going crazy trying to figure this out.

I checked my color space settings in Photoshop and they're all set to sRGB... unless there is some unknown colorspace setting hiding somewhere unknown to me...

After tinkering a bit, I realized that it was happening after flattening the image (which would make sense as to why the JPEGs look like that, but not the .psd, since Photoshop flattens the image before exporting the JPEG)... And THEN I realized... that if I flattened the image *without* the Calvin Hollywood effect, everything looked fine.

Then just to see what would happen, I deleted the layers for the Calvin Hollywood effect and simply merged the layers up into a new layer. After I did that, I did a high pass filter with the radius set to 5... and then set that layer to "Overlay".

When I then flattened the .psd file, after adding the high pass filter, set to overlay, the madness happened *again*.

So it has *something* to do with overlay mode.

And not only that, but I thought I'd try to get around it by doing what I needed to do, flattening the image, and then fixing the contrast issue with Levels, but when I flattened the image *again*, it went from looking fine to crappy again.

So it has to do with layers set to "Overlay" as well as any layers that were the result of a layer being set to "Overlay".

I hope this is making sense.

It's making me nuts.

What in the royal hell is going on?! I don't think I've ever noticed Overlay layers giving me an issue before, and now suddenly it's screwing everything up!

I don't know what else to try, short of reinstalling Photoshop... could that really even be the issue?

Please help!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 AM

Re: Can you please explain what is happening???

Export into Light Room as a PSD.
If you need a jpeg --- Export from LR to your desktop.
This will keep your best picture in LR for prints.
Also Check LR how it imports you picture.

Export the picture from Photoshop as a PSD.
Then Import that PSD to LR
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 AM

That's what I always do. I'll have to double check LR's import settings, but the fact of the matter is, if I save a JPEG from PS, it still happened, so it probably has nothing to do with the way LR was importing them.

That being said, I got so fed up last night that I uninstalled and reinstalled photoshop, and while it's still happening, it's not *as* extreme and I can get it to a decent point using Levels and Curves after the fact.

Of course now that I said that, when I'm finishing editing the rest of hte files and go to upload the JPEGs for the client, I'll probably discover that they're still horrid. LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Patron

After you completed your original editing (Calvin Hollywood + whatever else you did) in PS, did the image have more layers than just the background layer before you saved it as a jpg?
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
After you completed your original editing (Calvin Hollywood + whatever else you did) in PS, did the image have more layers than just the background layer before you saved it as a jpg?
Cheers, Murray
Yes, I never flatten anything. I try to edit "non-destructively".

When I flattened the image, or saved it as a JPEG, it would go crazy... UNLESS... I took out the layers dealing with the Overlay setting. Then it would flatten just fine.

So weird.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Patron

Before you try to save the psd, flatten it to see if it looks as messy as the jpg you get when you don't flatten it. Believe it or not, there are two issues that PS still has. With certain adjustment layers, what you see is actually only a preview which in many cases will look the same when you merge down that adj layer BUT in many other cases it will look very different. It is an inadequacy that PS has always had and still has. The only way to tell is to Ctrl E to merge down a layer to visualize the effect and then undo it.
The other issue is that PS has a procedure it follows when flattening a layer stack. When certain sequences of adj layers occur, certain things happen when the stack is flattened. There will be instances when you will want to flatten the image manually in such a way as to not alter your image.
Getting back to your specific problem: If you like what you see before you save you PSD as a jpg, do a Crtl+Alt+Shift+E to create a "Merged Visible" layer on top of you stack. If the merged visible looks the same (and it should) then it will look like that when you save as a jpg.
One final note: just to make sure your eyes are not being deceived, before you export your psd, zoom in to 100% view because sometimes the smaller views can be deceiving.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM

I think Mr Monday has the right of it. I was baffled by some skin degrunging looking terrible below a 66% zoom in PS. After contacting Adobe support I was told that previews in PS below that zoom level are still displayed in 8 bit, even when working in 16 bit. In my case I was seeing bad banding. In your case it's possible that you are working at a smaller preview size and creating something pleasant to your eyes that when flattened and rendered may not look correct.

Merging all visible to the top is the way to know what you are really dealing with, just like Monday said.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Before you try to save the psd, flatten it to see if it looks as messy as the jpg you get when you don't flatten it. Believe it or not, there are two issues that PS still has. With certain adjustment layers, what you see is actually only a preview which in many cases will look the same when you merge down that adj layer BUT in many other cases it will look very different. It is an inadequacy that PS has always had and still has. The only way to tell is to Ctrl E to merge down a layer to visualize the effect and then undo it.
The other issue is that PS has a procedure it follows when flattening a layer stack. When certain sequences of adj layers occur, certain things happen when the stack is flattened. There will be instances when you will want to flatten the image manually in such a way as to not alter your image.
Getting back to your specific problem: If you like what you see before you save you PSD as a jpg, do a Crtl+Alt+Shift+E to create a "Merged Visible" layer on top of you stack. If the merged visible looks the same (and it should) then it will look like that when you save as a jpg.
One final note: just to make sure your eyes are not being deceived, before you export your psd, zoom in to 100% view because sometimes the smaller views can be deceiving.
Cheers, Murray
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyTheory View Post
I think Mr Monday has the right of it. I was baffled by some skin degrunging looking terrible below a 66% zoom in PS. After contacting Adobe support I was told that previews in PS below that zoom level are still displayed in 8 bit, even when working in 16 bit. In my case I was seeing bad banding. In your case it's possible that you are working at a smaller preview size and creating something pleasant to your eyes that when flattened and rendered may not look correct.

Merging all visible to the top is the way to know what you are really dealing with, just like Monday said.
It definitely looked messy when flattening the image while still workign with a .psd. I'm also curious because you say that merging up should keep everything the same, but it still changed when I did that (Crtl+Alt+Shift+E -- I do a lot of that in order to keep things as "non-destructive" as possible, haha).

After re-installing PS last night, the problem was still occuring but not to as harsh of an extent. I was also then able to correct the issue using curves and layers (which also wasn't working after flattening, pre re-install ::scratches head:: ).

I have been checking as I go along, by flattening the image and then undoing to make sure I'm still on track... and so far, so good.

I think the other issue is that the technique I'm using makes existent noise in the image VERY visible... and I wasn't shooting in the best of conditions so my ISO was amped up. Couple that with the issue I was having once the image was flattened and it looked crazy.

After re-installing, it got a little better... still happens, but is better and fixable this time around. I dunno what settings I had that were making it unbearable before, but I'm going to have to keep an eye on that as I change preferences in PS again.

Thank you all for your input.

It's so strange that PS has that inconsistency. You'd think that's something they'd want to fix... haha. But then again, I know nothing of programming complex software (OR simple software for that matter, haha), so.... yeah.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 PM

Erose86, in addition to the great suggestions you've gotten I'll add my 2 cents.
The links to your pics are giving me error msgs so I'm going by your description.
I would have suggested not exporting and using the "edit in" "open as smart object in Photoshop" option in LR. But if your image is fine going into PS and bad coming out that pretty much means the issue is PS.
So I guess that's not going to help. I'd verify your settings both in LR and PS. Just to be sure make sure you are exporting in the adobergb color space from LR.
In PS in preferences make sure that "maximize PSD and PSB file compatibility" is set to always or ask. I'd also check under color settings and make sure your working space in PS is set to Adobe RGB (1998).

All that said, I don't think any of those things are your issue. It sounds as though it is an issue with the layer order. If you could post a screen shot of PS with the layers visible before you flatten them that could be helpful. Also maybe if you turn on PS's history log and run through the edit process on the photo again from scratch and then post the PS log that could be helpful.

BTW, I have removed "flatten" from my menu. I always merge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 AM

Could it be that LR exports 16 bit images and Calvin Hollywood's 'Freaky Detail' is meant for 8 bit images...?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help