RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Hello and please help..

Old 08-31-2002, 12:33 PM

Hi jonsien!

Welcome to RP!
I might be late, but here is what I did to try restoring your picture:

1) I Run Brightness&Contrast on The Blue Channel, strongly decreasing both, to fade the damage.

2) I used Hue&Saturation to desaturate each colour cast.

3) I used the Curves to enhance the image a bit.

Being me, I also 'cleaned it up' a bit...and here is the result...

P.S. I work with PS7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jetc1.jpg (94.4 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2002, 01:22 PM

jonsien, I don't see any problem with pointing the people at Asiva to this thread. In fact, I would be interested to see what they can do.

Flora, beautiful work as always!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2002, 05:16 PM

Getting rid of colored noise

Jonsien, welcome! The plane pic was not as difficult to fix as it may have appeared. The secret is to analyze the photo first. This pic was taken at night with only the runway lights and other local lighting. The sky should be black! Not multi-colored speckles, but nearly all BLACK, with possibly just a hint of slight coloration. And sure enough, when you overlay a corrected curves onto the original, that is what happens (details in next post).

Bottom line: The pic you got was over-corrected or over-exposed or over-compressed or possibly all three, and it could not possibly be accurate, so we proceed by putting the accuracy back in.

I am putting a close up of a small piece of the pic here, so that you can see how the pixels (still visible due to the overcompression/low resolution somewhere in the life of this pic) are no longer multi-colored confetti, but all the same tones. A full view version may be found by clicking below:

www.innographx.com/nightplane.jpg

Phyllis Stewart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg planepart.jpg (48.2 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 08-31-2002 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2002, 05:34 PM

Continued from last post...

Here is what I did.

1. Channels--copied red channel and made it second layer.

2. Curves*--on that layer, adjusted grays in the sky till they were much closer, closed it, then did it a second time till the sky became ALL ONE SHADE OF GRAY.

3. Autolevels--to balance the highs and lows, turning sky nearly black.

4. Set blend mode to overlay. The sky and plane had lost their colored speckles, but some remained on runway, so...

5. Duped top red channel layer, set blend mode on this new middle layer to color, then used "color balance" to add color to this all gray layer, making shadows more blue/magenta, midtones more cyan/green, and highlights more yellow. This evened out the color of the pixels in all areas.

6. On this same layer, used a brush to touch up colored areas like backpacks, uniform stripes, lights on plane, etc. with their colors of red and yellow.

7. Top layer--used dodge tool on big flaps by nose of plane, and along tops of wings to bring out detail lost in shadow (selected these areas with polygonal lasso first to get sharp edges).

*If you have any questions on how to adjust curves, there are good tutorials right here, or you can find them on the web.

Again, see the whole picture at www.innographx.com/nightplane.jpg and see a close up of one section right here (above post).

Phyllis
www.innographx.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2002, 01:56 PM

Colored Noise

adding to the above, try here:

http://www.ledet.com/margulis/ACT_po...-blurring.html

and here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/PSTV_links.html

Stevens' site under Noise,grain and descreening.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2002, 02:06 PM

I just took a quick look at the jpg. And if the orginal file is just as bad. Don't feel to bad if you have problems working it out. It's like a burger king hamburger. It's a whooper.
Try what's posted and those links though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2002, 11:27 AM

I couldn't resist putting in my two cents worth.

I ran the image through NeatImage. This removed most of the noise. Then, using Hue/Saturation/Lightness, I reduced the blue saturation until the balance of the noise was gone. I also reduced the yellow saturation to clean up the cement area.

The plane now looked too grey to me so I added a new layer with the blending mode set to color and filled it with blue. I then erased the blue cast from the cement area to get the result I wanted.

Jim

Full size inage here: http://home.att.net/~emma.non/Jet2.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jet2sm.jpg (91.7 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 09:49 AM

Nice job Jim. Amazing how many different approaches were taken to tackle this problem. If nothing else, jonsien has lots of options to try!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 01:32 PM

Smile Asiva

Hello all,
Compliments to those you that have attempted to correct that image. I must say some of the results are quite outstanding! After looking at the image it would seem that the two consistent things about the noise in the image were the Hue and the luminance values. As such in the Asiva Photo 16 bit application I was able to isolate the noisy areas and applied a black color to them at a blend rate of 88%, effectively 'disguising' the noise. It makes a big difference when you work in 16 bit because you effectively have 65,000 levels to work in as opposed to 256 in 8 bit.

The rest was just simply adjusting the brightness and then the saturation of the colors. Here is a link to a simple html file of a before/after of that image. This correction took me less than 10 minutes to do. No adjustment layers or masking was used.

If you require the full resolution output of that image file I will be more than glad to put it up. You will find that the actual large file is really very clean without any of the softness that you might find with 8 bit noise reduction systems.

http://www.asiva.org/Demo/fighter.htm

Last edited by Asiva; 09-03-2002 at 05:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 07:22 PM

On 8 bit/16 bit images. You might want to check this out.

http://www.ledet.com/margulis/ACT_po...it-16-bit.html

In fact the new edition of his book, "Professional Photoshop"(the 4 th edition). He covers this subject on the 8/16 bit debate.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help