RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Hello and please help..

Old 08-30-2002, 11:54 AM

Question Hello and please help..

Hi,
I've been lurking a while and trying to learn more about retouching. I must say that there are a lot of experienced folks here!
Anyway I was faced with a challenge recently. I got an image that had a lot of noise in it. Now I don't know PS well enough to know if this can be done or not so I thought I would post it here and see. The image has a lot of blue and green noise in it. Is there anyway to clean it up that was not going to take many hours? Here is a section of it and here is a link to the actual big banana.
Thanks in advance for all thoughts and responses. Cheers!

Link to the Big File
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scaled.jpg (33.2 KB, 128 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 01:21 PM

1st, this is a lousy image, that I wouldn't try to save, but if I was held at gunpoint, I would do what I did. Now, to remember what the hey it was.
PSP7. Adjustment layer, color levels. reduced the yelly as much as possible. Dialed in lotsa blu. Did the adjust twice. Color replacer on the spots. Huge amount of soften on the sky.................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lousy image 1.jpg (37.7 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 01:23 PM

Hi Jonsien,
Welcome to Retouch Pro and glad you decided to delurk finally. I don't know if this will help you or not but I have had alot of sucess with this plugin. It's free to download and even though it says Demo it's the full version in Beta form. As a matter of fact, I don't think they have the full version for sale. It really does an excellent job with grain. It called Eye Fidelity Tools and you can find it here. It's free so it's definately worth a try.

You might also give this technique a try. Switch modes to Lab and apply a soft blur to the A and B channels. That blurs only the color info with out affecting the image detail. It works in situations where the noise is located in the color information. Some digital photography can result in this problem.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 01:24 PM

Hi jonsien,

First off, welcome to RetouchPRO! I'm glad you finally came out of hiding.

The problem with this picture is actually pretty easy to fix once you know how. It involves looking at the individual RGB channels and replacing the "damaged" one. I don't know how far along you are learning PS, so I'll start from the basics.

Click on the "Channels" tab (usually next to your Layers palette unless you've moved it.) You will most likely see the channel "RGB" highlighted. That means you are seeing the composite of all three channels at once. If you then click on each of the individual channel names, you'll be able to view each channel separately. Notice in this image that the blue channel contains almost all of the damage, i.e. the blue and yellow noise.

It is nearly impossible to repair this, so it is much easier just to replace it instead. I chose to replace the blue channel with the green channel. To do that, I clicked on the green channel to make it active. Then Ctl-A to Select All and Ctl-C to copy. Then click on the blue channel to make that one active and Ctl-V to paste. You have now just copied the green channel into the blue channel.

I worked on the entire image and it seemed to make the image look basically grayscale except for the red portions. I can't tell by looking at the original what the actual color should be or if it really is almost grayscale. In any case, I think it looks pretty cool! If you do need color somewhere, you might need to colorize those areas. (And if you need help with that, just ask.)

I've attached the before/after of the small portion you attached here so that you can see the result of the above procedure.

Very cool picture BTW!

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jet_scaled_jsa.jpg (37.0 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 03:36 PM

Hi and Welcome to Retouch Pro...One thing you might consider is to turn this into a B/W. You might try this:
(1) select the channel tab in the layers palette
(2) click on the red channel
(3) press ; Ctrl+A ( selects the whole image)/ press Ctrl+C ( to copy it to the clipboard/
(4) Now click on the blue channel/ select the whole image (ctrl+a) then press Shift+Ctrl+V to copy the clipboard image into the selection
(5) click on the top (RGB) channel, press CTRL+D to deselect the image
(6) Click the LAYERS tab
(7) At the bottom of the tab is a little circle half black and half white. Click it. A menu will pop up. Select Channel mixer.
(8) An adjustment layer will appear in the layers palette and a control window will open. Put a check mark in the MONOCHROME box, then adjust the sliders to adjust your image tone and so on. When done just close and flatten...
Doing this will get rid of the noise etc and give you a very cool B/W photo...

Another thing you could do, if you have the plugin "BuzzPro", would be to apply simplifier one filter at a setting of around 500, go to EDIT>FADE BUZZPRO> select multiply blending mode and fade to around 60%....see attach....Good luck, and let us know how your project turns out!! Tom

Last edited by thomasgeorge; 08-30-2002 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 03:45 PM

Ok, heres the photo!! Sorry...my mind wandered out the gate again....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 04:47 PM

WELL BLOW ME DOWN

Jeaniesa, you did well, I don't know about the PS channels yet, but will try this.
thomasgeorge, yours looks very good too, but you said B&W in your text, the image is color.
You both got good results but did it a slightly diff way.
Verry interesting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 05:04 PM

The posted photo was done using Buzz pro method which will preserve the color...I forgot to mention that...oops!!! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 05:24 PM

Thumbs down Thanks!

That's a lot further than I managed to get. Great work everyone. I have one last avenue and am going to send the image to the guys at Asiva.com. I saw them at Macworld and they said that they specialized in color correction and image enhancement software, so we shall see how they do. They were showing some amazing corrections at their booth. If it's ok with everyone, I will send them the link to this thread and see if they can do anything with that picture. I will wait to see if there are any objections to this suggestion, before doing so.
Thanks again all, and have a great (and SAFE) weekend!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2002, 05:26 PM

This is not the fastest method, but if you really want to save the pic, This is what I would do.... and I did a little VERY roughly on part of the picture....

First I adjusted the curves to lessen the contrast of the blue and green channels against each other, then created an empty layer for luminosity and for color. I used the surrounding color and luminosity to paint over the worst sections of the picture. This would require intricate masking of the plane, etc., which I did not do because I don't have much time, but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plane.jpg (88.7 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help